Yellowstone tours: The one-of-a-kind story told by America’s first national park

Most people’s first thoughts of Yellowstone often relate to a vast and beautiful wilderness area, home to rare and magnificent animals and stunning landscapes. Those images of America’s first national park are unquestionably accurate, but the appeal of Yellowstone tours goes far beyond the natural world.

In addition to being one of America’s largest sanctuaries for wild species, Yellowstone and the adjoining Grand Teton National Park share with visitors unique lessons in architecture, landscape and history.

Architecture

It’s not just the natural framework of these parks that attracts visitors. Yellowstone features some of the oldest and most majestic resorts in the country, which were constructed with the intention of marrying human comforts with this natural paradise. A prime example is the Old Faithful Inn. Constructed in 1904, the rustic lodge features a unique log outer facade and an expansive lobby with a massive stone fireplace – a grand tribute to cabin life. Grand Teton National Park features preserved buildings that take visitors back to the pioneer days. The breathtaking Chapel of the Transfiguration gives visitors a unique view of the mountains through the large window behind the altar. The humble preserved homesteads of Mormon Row provide a stark contrast to the giant rocky crags in the backdrop.

Landscape

Not surprisingly, the Teton Range and the natural oddities of Yellowstone have long been a destination for nature photographers, including Ansel Adams. Few mountain ranges offer the striking contrast of the Tetons rising up from golden meadows and the scenic Jackson and Jenny lakes. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River offers jaw-dropping vistas for miles and views of some of the most powerful waterfalls in the country. Bubbling mudpots, explosive geysers and crystal-clear geyser pools inspire intrigue and awe.

History

The Yellowstone area serves as an important historic location in America’s westward expansion. The National Oregon/California Trail Center in Montpelier, Idaho, a couple hours south of Grand Teton National Park, features an interactive wagon trail experience. Yellowstone resorts also offers campfire cookouts designed to give visitors a feel for cowboy life, as well as stagecoach tours. Lessons in natural history abound in Yellowstone, with interpretive centers explaining how the park emerged out of a giant volcanic eruption to become a hotbed for plants and wildlife. Rangers lead seminars on a wide variety of topics that explore the efforts of man and nature to create this impressive outdoor classroom.

Nature

Those embarking on Yellowstone tours stand a great chance of viewing some of the largest animals to roam the continent, including abundant bison, thriving populations of both black and grizzly bears and the rare gray wolf. Moose are common visitors to the areas surrounding the Tetons and herds of elk are common sights in many areas in both parks.

The Yellowstone area is so vast that one could not cover everything during a lifetime of exploring, much less a couple of weeks. To get special inside sightseeing, personalized value, quality and value exploring the park and surrounding areas, consider checking out what’s offered through Tauck’s Yellowstone tours. Taking part in an organized tour will help get you to the must-see parts of the park, while freeing up time you may otherwise spend worrying about meals and accommodations.