Hunger Games satisfies appetite

One of the most anticipated films of 2012 is “The Hunger Games,”

a big screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ 2008 novel of the same

name. Unfamiliar with the series, I decided to pick up the

trilogy’s first book and quickly realized what the hype was all

about.

One of the most anticipated films of 2012 is “The Hunger Games,” a big screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ 2008 novel of the same name. Unfamiliar with the series, I decided to pick up the trilogy’s first book and quickly realized what the hype was all about.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic North America (known as Panem) where the Capitol holds power and sovereignty over the people who are spread throughout twelve districts.

As punishment for a failed rebellion that occurred long ago, the people of each district must offer one male and one female between the ages of 12 and 18 (called tributes) annually to participate in a challenge of strength, courage, wit, and might, known as the Hunger Games.

The catch is that this competition is essentially a battle to the death where only one of the 24 participants can make it out alive as victor. Our heroine (and the story’s narrator) is Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old from the poor mining Twelfth district who actually volunteers to participate in the Games.

With the “Harry Potter” and “Twilight” franchises making huge revenue at the box-office it comes as no surprise that Lionsgate has decided to use this source material to join the ranks with its competitors. One thing that will surely make “The Hunger Games” stand out is its protagonist.

Katniss Everdeen makes both Harry Potter and Bella Swan look incompetent and useless in comparison as she bravely overcomes the various obstacles that life and the Capitol throw her way.

She’s strong, independent, and clever yet still possesses human emotions and some age appropriate vulnerability. The villainous threat of the Capitol is not to be ignored either, for at times their heinous acts make Lord Voldemort look as menacing as a Build-a-Bear.

Forcing children to kill one another for mere entertainment is just one of their many sick and twisted norms.

Though the book features a female lead and author, the story appeals to all audiences with its seamless transition between action, mystery, and suspense. Actually, one of my only complaints with the novel is Collins’ attempt to channel her inner Stephenie Meyer and drag the story down with a forced, yet somewhat understated love triangle.

The book also starts a little slow, yet once you get past the initial set up and into the survival story in the Games you will be flying through pages discovering a myriad of twists and turns.

For those who are tired of reading about wizards, werewolves, and vampires, “The Hunger Games” provides a great science fiction alternative. Yes, there will be plot points and themes you will find familiar during your read, however, the way Collins structures this book and essentially sets up the next two is sure to have you hooked and finished with the entire trilogy before the first movie debuts on March 23.

NOTE: The story is not for the squeamish. Collins spares no detail as characters are slaughtered and murdered in a variety of different ways. Think Spike’s “1000 Ways to Die” meets CBS’s “Survivor” meets Gary Paulsen’s “Hatchet”.

[email protected] and Follow him on Twitter @iGiveNoChuck

• Chuck Johnson, Copy Editor