Game on: Controlling breathing conditions to stay active through sports and exercise

(ARA) – Difficulty breathing. Wheezing. Chest tightness. Coughing. Symptoms like these are most often related to asthma and can be caused by a number of factors including pollen, dust, allergies or smoke. However, when these symptoms happen during, or shortly after exercise or physical activity, it may not be asthma, but instead, a preventable breathing condition called exercise-induced bronchospasm, or EIB.

According to the latest estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 25 million Americans, or over 8 percent of the US population, have asthma. Although the majority of asthmatics have EIB, EIB can exist as a condition separate from asthma. Within the asthma population and as a separate condition, EIB impacts an estimated 30 million people in the United States.

The CDC recommends children participate in one hour or more of physical activity every day; however, children who experience the symptoms of asthma and EIB are more likely to avoid exercise and physical activity for fear of triggering their symptoms. In general, lack of exercise may lead to weight gain and obesity, risk factors for heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and trouble sleeping.

Despite the large number of people living with asthma and EIB in the U.S., EIB diagnosis still remains low due to a lack of awareness and understanding about the condition. The first step in effectively managing EIB is to be able to properly identify the signs and symptoms. People who think they may be experiencing symptoms should talk to their doctor and get evaluated.

EIB is a manageable condition. National guidelines recommend using a quick-relief inhaler 15 to 30 minutes before exercising to prevent symptoms from happening in the first place.

Once diagnosed, it’s important to talk to your doctor about your treatment options, as not all quick-relief inhalers are the same. Some are designed to be carried and stored in any position for the active lifestyle and have a longer expiration date. Your doctor can work with you to identify which quick-relief inhaler is right for you.

Having asthma and EIB doesn’t mean you have to avoid exercising. It just means that you need to take the proper steps to prevent the symptoms from occurring. For more information, visit www.EIBActive.com.