E. Gywnn Dancers present fundraising spring concert

This past Saturday, the E. Gwynn Dancers presented their spring performance entitled “Preserving History: Dream Believe Strive Achieve… Dance.” The show opened up with sounds of African drums. As they went to the stage, the E. Gwynn drummers, dressed in African costumes, set the mood for the performance to come.

The first piece was named “Harvest” and it was based on a traditional West African dance.  From the beginning, the energy onstage was incredible. The costumes and the music helped to get the audience engaged in the dance. The costumes stood out and aided in the telling the story.

Eleanor Gwynn introduced each piece. She also informed the audience that all of the dancers rehearsed 6 days a week and worked out to stay in shape to maintain the pace of the dances for the entire performance.

The dance performance used a variety of methods, including images, in several of the pieces to further bring out emotions. A powerful poem, written for the dance, “For All Black Men,” was read, evoking strong emotions from the crowd. A slide show of Black males was shown and then the actual dance began.

In a couple of pieces, the drums added to the traditional feel of the piece, while in other cases, tracks relating to the dance were played. The pieces often had rapid movements and an energy that captivated the audience.

The African and the Jamaican dances were based on actual traditional dances that are performed.  They didn’t use the stereotypical movements that are popularized in music videos or on television.  The Jamaican piece was true to modernized traditional Jamaican dance moves that are popular in Kingston.

Then the track of Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father” played for the dance. The piece was created for Chancellor Battle’s Installation in April of 2007. Eleanor Gwynn spoke about how Chancellor Battle was a big supporter of the Arts and how he had donated money for scholarships totaling $22,000 for dance.

Two A&T students in the performance, Jeremy Sims and Courtney Key, received scholarships.

After the dance, “Images of My Father,” the E. Gywnn drummers took center stage and impressed the audience with their performance.

At the end of the last performance, the E. Gwynn Dancers received a well deserved standing ovation.

The reception that followed after the concert in Dudley had refreshments. People reflected on the concert while enjoying the food. On the second floor, the auction took place. The items ranged in bidding prices from $5 to around $500. The auction included items such as hand-made jewelry, furniture and paintings. There was even a small replica of the mural inside of the Union. 

• Noma Vilane