Online learning is changing the face of education

As the face of education shifts toward online learning, so does the general opinion of this new mode of learning. According to the U.S. Department of Education, online education provides students with distinct advantages over traditional classroom instruction.

Research conducted by the U.S. Department of Education and presented in A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies found that students who took online courses outperformed students who took the same course in a classroom with face-to-face instruction. In addition, the study found that “learners in the online condition spent more time on task than students in the face-to-face condition.”

In the past decade, educators have recognized that not all individuals have the ability to study at a brick-and-mortar university or college. However, these individuals should have the opportunity to receive a quality education. As a result, many colleges and universities have begun offering online courses, primarily targeting the busy student.

In the mid-1980s, Liberty University was one of the nation’s first universities to offer a distance learning program, which is now Liberty University Online, a school in itself, with more than 50,000 students.

Liberty University Online has been ranked first place in the nation among online colleges by MyCollegesandCareers.com. The website helps college-bound individuals identify and compare schools and their online degree programs.

“I was somewhat cautious about the online program and its ability to be as effective as on-campus learning,” says Robin Bone, an undergraduate student of Liberty University Online. “That quickly disappeared, and I found that the online program was perfect for me and my lifestyle.”

For online universities, quality academics begin with qualified, online faculty.

“Even though I was not in a traditional classroom setting, I knew the professors were just a click away,” says Cheryl Arbelaez. “The professors made it clear that they were there to answer any questions I had. After waiting 24 years to finish college, I am grateful to have a degree in business finance.”

Higher education has adapted to the modern student’s lifestyle and demands, enabling many to improve their careers and achieve their personal goals – something that would have been unlikely without a college education.