Boomers can look as young as they feel with nonsurgical cosmetic procedures

Baby boomers are entering their “golden years” more active, vital and youthful than virtually any generation before them. So it’s no surprise that many of them want to look as young as they feel.

“The baby boomer clientele who come to our practice aren’t necessarily interested in looking like movie stars,” says Dr. Alfred Sofer, a board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who owns the Plastic Surgery Center of Fairfield, Conn. “They eat well and exercise regularly, they take care of themselves, and they want their appearance to be as healthy and youthful as their lifestyle.”

As skin ages it loses elasticity, and many people of the baby boom generation (born between 1946 and 1964) are finding their outward age just doesn’t match their inner age. In addition to wanting to feel better about their appearance, many boomers also realize the value of a youthful look when competing for job opportunities.

Many are opting to rectify the situation with cosmetic procedures, from minimally invasive techniques to breast lifts and tummy tucks. More than 12 million elective cosmetic procedures were performed in the U.S. last year, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Dr. Sofer points to three popular nonsurgical procedures that have helped many of his baby boomer clients look younger:

Dermal fillers

Loss of facial fullness and the development of wrinkles, especially beneath the eyes (tear trough) and in the lines from your nose to the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds), are early signs of aging. Injectable fillers safely and effectively fill in those lines, without the downtime and discomfort of surgery.

Dermal fillers can also make thin lips appear plumper, enhance shallow contours, soften creases and wrinkles, fill and lift the cheeks, improve the appearance of scars and improve the jaw line. Popular fillers include: Restylane, Juvederm and Radiesse, each with their advantages for certain areas.

Botox

There’s a reason many aging Hollywood stars swear by Botox. Muscle contractions when you squint, frown or smile are the main cause of wrinkles and lines. When facial muscles contract, the skin furrows and folds. Over time and years of repeated contractions, wrinkles can become permanent, even when muscles are resting.

Injecting prescription Botox medications into the facial muscles can help improve the appearance of moderate to severe frown lines. Many people like it because Botox reduces lines and wrinkles without causing substantial changes in facial appearance; you won’t look like you’ve had “work done.” Plus, it’s fast – most people see results in just one to 10 days after treatment.

Microdermabrasion

The uppermost layer of our skin is exposed on a daily basis to free radicals, toxins and sun damage. Removing that layer can help skin look younger, more supple and refreshed.

Microdermabrasion softens and brightens the skin by using suction and crystals to gently resurface the most superficial layer. The procedure also diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged pores and coarse, textured skin.

“Baby boomers are working longer, remarrying and practicing healthier lifestyles,” Sofer says. “There is no typical cosmetic procedure client anymore. I’ve worked on mothers and fathers, office workers, sales people and men and women with high-profile jobs. What they all have in common is a desire to have their faces and bodies reflect how they feel and think, not just their chronological age.”

For more information on fillers, botox, microdermabrasion and other non-surgical and surgical procedures, visit www.drsofer.com.