Models ‘rip the runway’

Last week, Verge Modeling Troupe and I Am Music and Media came together to pull off Rip the Runway.

The event was inspired by the fashion show BET holds annually that showcases original designs.

DeLisa Reddick, the president of I Am Music and Media and Arista Ratchford, the president of Verge began the program with an introduction naming the different designers and performers of the show.

Despite the cold weather, students came out to Holland Bowl to see the program.

“We had expected warmer weather and a larger turnout,” stated DeLisa Reddick.

They also had to rearrange the order of a couple of the segments due to miscommunication.

The models believed they were to change clothes in Holland Hall, “but were not given permission,” according to Reddick.

While the flier for the event stated the time of the event was from 4-7 p.m., the show started at 4 p.m., but ended at 5:30 p.m.

Travis Jackson said that this was due to the time on the flier not matching the itinerary that was given to the school in order to hold the venue.

There was a walking contest during an intermission that was open to all of the students in Holland Bowl.

Chelsea McDaniel was the winner of the contest and won a ticket to the Walk Wars, which was this past Saturday.

Walk Wars 2010 featured TCB, a group from the DMV area.

The event was a battle that consisted of modeling troupes from NCCU, DSU, and A&T’s own Verge Modeling Troupe and Couture Productions.

Verge won the modeling contest and received a cash prize. There were live performances while the models walked across the stage.

The artists were all local and some even attended A&T. The finale song performed by Team Fresh was called “Aggie Pride.”

Kiana Byrd, one of the student hosts, said, “Students and local artists came together to create the Rip the Runway ambiance.”

Students produced the event to cater to the students of A&T.

“This was a lighthearted event that was put together for the audience to have fun,” said Reddick.

Jasmine Harrison, a sophomore business marketing major from New York said, “I enjoyed it because we were able to see some of the designs of our peers. It was also cool to see (students) model the clothes.”

• Noma Vilane