Keeping a leash on allergies while living with a pet

(ARA) – Allergies no longer have to prevent pet ownership. By taking a few simple precautionary steps, it is possible to comfortably live with both pets and allergies. Here are a few helpful tips:

* Shut the door.

Keep cats or dogs from your bedroom – and not just when you are sleeping. If you keep the door closed, it will prevent cat or dog hair from drifting in during the day. This also applies to a guest room if you are hosting a guest with allergies.

* Keep pets off the furniture.

You can do this by placing a plastic cover on the furniture or by placing pieces of aluminum foil on areas where pets settle. They find the noise disturbing. Or you can try orange peel; cats dislike the smell.

* Ditch the carpets.

Pet hair tends to stick to carpets, especially soft, shaggy carpet. Try area rugs on tile or wood floors. They are convenient because they are portable and usually machine washable.

* Bathe pets.

Use an allergen-reducing shampoo and clean dogs at least twice a week.

* Clean the air.

Remove irritants with an air cleaner that has a HEPA filter.

* Vacuum and dust frequently.

Use a vacuum designed especially for pet owners. These include features such as an odor-absorbing filter and powerful suction for pet hair, while still retaining the dust and dirt that can trigger allergies and asthma.

The recently-introduced Cat & Dog vacuum, by Miele, the creators of the first HEPA-certified vacuum cleaner, is built with a sealed system designed to prevent dirt, dust and allergens from escaping back into the air. The vacuum provides the powerful suction and airflow necessary to remove stubborn pet hair and includes a versatile brush roller that automatically adjusts when transitioning from hardwood to carpet. For more information about Miele, visit www.mieleusa.com or call (800) 843-7231.