The Evolution of Royalty

As the room filled with friends and families, the mellow music hummed, the lights dimmed and the beauty of stage set the mood for the historic “tradition of this crowning homecoming event,” Chancellor Harold L. Martin said. Oct. 28, the 2009-10 coronation of Mr. and Miss North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, Austin D. James and Ngozi Opara made history with the crowning of the school’s first Mr. A&T.

This momentous occasion took place in Corbett Sports Center, where the room had been transformed into a “royal palace,” said Mable Scott, the university’s vice chancellor for public relations. The open floor had only a single red carpet extended to a tiered throne with chairs on opposite sides ascending to the top where two matching red and white velvet chairs sat, in which the Mr. and Miss A&T were soon to grace.

Behind the noble chairs was a clock holding the hands of time and two graceful palm trees. Directly across from their throne was a stage that seated special guests, from the presiding class presidents to the former Miss A&T’s to the parents and family of James and Opara. Chairs were also lined up on both sides of the red carpet for the organizational kings and queens. In the corners on the floor level, were white cylindrical cloth tubes with lights that enhanced the stage.

The ceremony opened with an introduction from the Master and Mistress of ceremony, Wayne Kimball Jr. and Mable Scott. Their address included some historical events, such as the second Morrill Act supporting the land grant that established the university, the university’s former presidents and the Greensboro Four.

Followed by the short introduction was Pastor Otis Lockett Jr. who rendered the Lord’s Prayer. Vice chancellor for student affairs Dr. Sullivan Welborne welcomed everyone in the stands and on the stage and thanked them for coming. Attention was given back to the hosts, who highlighted a slightly different part of the ceremony.

A skit was performed in which the actors were slaves. The mother and kids were dressed in tattered garments, trying to run away. “We always gon’ be niggers,” said one of the three discouraged children. The mother tried to convince them otherwise but the child kept on.

“We never gon’ be anything else.”

The younger sibling began to whimper but the mother reminded them of a great African queen.

Drums began to beat loudly and five female dancers came onto floor, shaking their hair, stomping their feet and moving their hips to the music. Later joined by a male dancer, they finished their performance to receive an enormous applause.The skit represented the provided hope for the slaves. There was optimism that they could be more than what everyone made them out to be.

Throughout the years, Miss Agricultural and Technical State University has always acted as a beacon of hope and encouragement. After the skit was over, the 2008-09 Miss A&T, Ta’Nisha Fordham-Alston, took her final walk.

Shifting back to the royal environment, the organizational kings and queens were announced. Fifty three organizations were represented from the sororities and fraternities, to the residence halls and societies and clubs. Euphoria made its way through the crowd as Aggie parents and friends stood, clapped and shouted. Next the class kings and queens entered, doing a small dance before walking up the red carpet to their chairs.

“This is the moment you all have been waiting for,” said master of ceremony Kimball. The lights dimmed and two screens came down on both sides of the throne showing a power point made by Austin James. 

Only hearing his voice, James described with conviction what a real black man is and what he is not through clips and pictures of black men. The presentation brought the audience to their feet and they remained standing until James entered. He walked around the room while his condensed biography was read and then walked up the red carpet to the stage where first lady Davida Martin waited with his crown.

Silence fell as Martin carefully positioned the crown upon James’ head. However, once the crown was placed, the room rang with applause. Austin James was crowned the first Mr. North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. Mr. A&T and the audience earnestly waited for the queen to make her entrance.

Four ballerinas dressed in white danced to sultry music while Opara prepared her entrance. Eight men entered the room first and at the end of their procession emerged the stunning young woman wearing a breathtaking white beaded dress. Ta’Nisha Fordham-Alston, the 2008-09 Miss A&T, crowned Ngozi Opara as the 2009-10 Miss North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. While she walked toward Mr. A&T, who waited by the throne, Opara’s male procession laid down red roses along the red carpet while her biography was read.

Upon meeting Mr. A&T, James held Opara’s dress as they cautiously walked up the steps to their royal chairs. The room once again rang with applause as Austin James and Ngozi Opara were introduced as the 2009-10 Mr. and Miss North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. Dean of students Judy Rashid, gave a couple of tributes followed by SGA, fraternity brothers and family members who gave touching remarks to the court. The coronation ended with a reception where people continued to show their gratitude.  

• ULeasa Joseph