Homecoming Concert Recap

The Student Government Association and Student University Activities Board shut down homecoming this year with an all-star line up including Elle Varner, Big Sean, 2 Chainz, Trey Songz and Young Jeezy.

With late arrivals delaying the show, Elle Varner was the first to hit the stage.

Other than hit songs, “Refill” and “I Don’t Care,” Varner also sang some of her personal favorites.

“The banger on the CD is ‘Not Tonight’,” said Varner.

“It’s a power ballad that we haven’t seen in a long time. It’s just such an emotional epic song.”

The rookie soulstress featured big name artists on her CD, among them, N.C. native J Cole. She also has other hopefuls in mind for her next CD.

“I would love to work with Andre 3000,” said Varner.

“He is different and so is his body of work from Outkast and his solo albums. I channeled him a little on “WTF” on my mixtape.”

After sharing her beautiful vocals, next on the stage was Big Sean, member of Kanye West’s group G.O.O.D. Music.

The group recently released an album, “Cruel Summer,” which mostly features the artist.

He performed one Homecoming anthem for this school year, “Clique” and other favorites.

Big Sean was also down to earth hanging out backstage, greeting fans and listening to the other performers.

2 Chainz appeared next, coming on stage wearing an Aggie hoodie, more than 2 chains and an undisclosed cup.

When performing “Bandz a make her Dance” and “Birthday Song,” fans stood up screaming making the rapper even more hype.

Unlike some of the performers, 2 Chainz played all his solo hits and also tracks he featured.

Trey Songz was next to the stage making his third Homecoming appearance.

Songz took it back to “Neighbors Know My Name” while also playing his new song “Dive In,” switching the lyrics up.

When Songz asked if anyone wanted his shirt, fans bombarded each other grabbing the sweat infested shirt he used to wipe off his chest and forehead.

He sped his tempo back up performing the explicit version of “Ladies and Drinks.”

Young Jeezy, the headliner, came on last to shut down the stage and made all the trap boys go crazy.

He made his second Homecoming performance with favorites like “Put On” and “SupaFreak.”

Jeezy proved that he deserved to headline the concert.

These artists can serve as inspiration for students.

Varner gave advice for young people chasing their dreams.

“When you get out of college, you will have the biggest reality check,” said Varner.

“You have to fight literally like your life depends on it for whatever you want. Don’t limit yourself to anything because you can have the world, but you have to work hard for it.”

Even though the concert lasted past midnight, it was well worth the money.

[email protected] and also  follow your Scene Editor on Twitter at @NecoleRitchie

• Scene Editor, Necole Jackson