Secrets of a successful resume update

(ARA) – It’s always a good idea to keep your resume fresh for employment opportunities. Take the time to polish your resume so it appeals to employers, because what may have worked for you in the past might not be relevant today.

“Your resume is a living document,” says Heather VanRiper, assistant director of career services at The Illinois Institute of Art – Chicago. She points out that workers are always learning new skills on the job, at professional development conferences and seminars. Many of those skills can and should be a part of your updated resume.

But if you’re not currently looking, why take the time to spruce up an old resume? “Who knows when the next opportunity will open up?” asks VanRiper. “You could be at a networking event, a dinner party or even on a train commuting home when you bump into an opportunity that you just can’t pass up. Having your resume ready to go makes you look more polished and professional.”

VanRiper suggests you take a good look at your experience to see if you need to add any new job responsibilities or reflect recent promotions. Have you joined any new professional organizations or been elected to a board? Polish up the skills section of your resume with any new software applications you’ve learned. And don’t forget to add any foreign languages you know.

Since the digital age is here, your resume should keep up. “Add a link to your work in your resume. From an employer’s point of view, if they can read all about you and also click on a link and see your work, you become visual,” VanRiper says. “Your potential employer can now see your capabilities.” Just make sure the materials you are directing employers to, are updated.

A short employment history does not mean you’re short on skills. Don’t discredit any experience that you’ve had, says VanRiper. She adds, “There’s a lot of value in transferable skills like problem solving, customer service and attention to detail. If you can demonstrate those skills in your resume, you show that you’re an asset to any workplace.”

Once you’re done with the updates, VanRiper has one final piece of advice. “Proofread. Proofread. Proofread. Errors are inexcusable and will cost you the job.”

To learn more about The Art Institutes schools visit, www.artinstitutes.edu/nz.