Exhibit honors Civil Rights artist

The University Galleries at North Carolina A&T State University presents “Monuments of Humanity: The Art of John Wilson”, a retrospective collection of works by the artist John Wilson. This exhibition will be on display from January 23 thru March 5 housed in the Henry Clinton Taylor Gallery, located on the first floor of the Dudley Building.

The John Wilson exhibition will feature several paintings and prints representing over sixty years of artistry. Wilson said his work “deals with the sociopolitical realities of his figures,” uniquely showcasing examples of “social inequalities, scenes of work and industry, and the mainly personal but at times collective fears and triumphs of individuals from various geographic contexts.”

“Choosing [the Monuments of Humanity exhibit] began with wanting to teach students more about the artist and the piece “Head Study” already on display in the H.C. Taylor Collection,” said University Galleries Director Shelia Harris.

The galleries administrator also felt this collection would be a great contribution on behalf of the University Galleries in conjunction with the university’s 50th Anniversary celebration of the A&T Four. 

Each piece was carefully selected and borrowed from the personal collection of John Wilson from the Sragow Gallery in New York City and the Paul R. Jones Collection at the University Museum at the University of Delaware.

One of Harris’s favorite is Wilson’s original the “Passing Scene,” which she said, “foreshadows” one of the most noteworthy acts in history. The painting illustrates an African American sitting at the front of the bus surrounded by other white passengers whispering their disapproval. The foreshadow is evident because this painting was created during the 1940s, pre-Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights Movement.Bryle Hatch, former intern of the University Galleries and current member of the Friends of the Galleries program said one of his favorite pieces in the collection is “Tennis Player #4.” Hatch said he notices how Wilson normally uses a lot of dark shadows in his works, but admires this one for being “one of his more colorful pieces.”

In addition to hosting visiting collections, the University Galleries permanently houses two other art collections: The Mattye Reed African Heritage Collection and the Henry Clinton Taylor Collection.

The official mission of the University Galleries is to “display, interpret, collect and preserve the finest examples of artistic achievement by artist and craftspeople of the African Diaspora,” but ultimately the administrators work to maintain the College of Arts and Sciences affiliate as an “educational and teaching collection.”

Funded partially by Student Affairs and Academic Affairs, the University Galleries exercises a “student’s first” mindset by holding several annual events including the Student, Senior and Guilford Country High School Art exhibitions at the end of every school year, as well as offering summer internships and yearly volunteer opportunities that are C.A.S.E. approved.

Students, alumni, faculty, staff and residents of the greater Greensboro area can join the Friends of the Galleries membership program. For a small donation, subscribers have access to exclusive gallery benefits for one year, including members-only exhibition previews, lectures, special events, discounts on museum related merchandise and free admission to ticketed events.

“We highly encourage the students to visit and participate in our programs and events because this is their gallery,” said Harris.For more information on the University Galleries please visit the website at www.ncat.edu/ ~museum

• LaRia Land