Taking care of business

On Sunday afternoon, at the Lady Aggies Softball Complex, the North Carolina A&T softball team defeated the Rams of Winston-Salem in a 5-0 shutout game.

It was the second shutout game of the weekend for pitcher Sasha Philpot.

Philpot struck out seven, walked three and allowed only four hits from the Rams.

Jessie Larson was 3-for-3 on the game with three RBI’s while Lillian Bullock went 2-for-3 with an RBI.

In the third inning Larson hit a pitch from Brittany Lane over the fence, which scored Yahamma White, Hope Fletcher and Larson for a 3-0 Aggie lead.

In the fourth Larson tripled and scored off a Bianca Alsobrook groundout to increase the Aggies lead to 4-0.

The Aggies extended their lead in the sixth off a Larson home run over left field fence. This marked the 33rd career home run for Larson and the Aggies improved to 16-17 on the season.

A day earlier the Lady Aggie softball team faced the Rams, splitting games in double-header action.

The Aggies won in 2-0 shutout at the Lady Aggies Softball Complex, but fell short against the Rams in the second game losing 5-2.

Philpot was able to hold the Rams to just one hit, while striking out seven. Although Winston-Salem only had one hit, Philpot walked 6 Rams allowing them to reach.

The sixth inning was all A&T.

A throwing error allowed Yahamma White to reach base, she would advance to second on a sacrifice bunt by Jasmine Parks.

A home run to center field by Jessie Larson scored both White and Larson and gave the

Aggies a 2-0 lead and the game.  The Aggies led early in the game with a 2-1 lead over the Rams in the second inning but would lose their lead in the third.

A Hall two-run RBI to left center field gave the Rams a two-run lead over the Aggies.

The Rams scored once more and pitcher Brittany Lane struck out five insure the win for the Rams.

The Aggie will visit Appalachian State  today at 3 p.m.

• Lauren Morgan