$100,000 grill buys Wayne more time

The jail sentence for rapper and actor Lil’ Wayne has been delayed one month because of emergency dental work a week before sentencing.

The Cash Money/Young Money artist was arrested in 2007 in New York City on gun possession charges.

With the state of New York not cutting any slack on committed gun possession crimes, it was more then certain that Lil’ Wayne would serve mandatory jail time. 

Advised by jail officials because of recent threats, Lil’ Wayne made a last-minute decision to remove the platinum- and-diamond grill valued at $100,000 temporarily until he has served his term.

It is completely pathetic that Lil’ Wayne has to have that much jewelry removed from his mouth.  No sympathy would be given to a regular inmate seeking a delay in serving a sentence, especially for the reason that was granted to Lil’ Wayne. With surgery set to take place this week, Lil’ Wayne is scheduled to turn himself into authorities on March 2, at which time he will immediately begin serving his sentence.

Known for his hard work, dedication, and tendency for not sleeping, the rapper reportedly recorded nine music videos in one week for the recently released Young Money album “We are Young Money,” his solo album “Rebirth,” and a future album titled “The Carter IV.”

His request for extra time should have been denied for the simple fact that he spent the majority of his time recording videos.  He was not doing anything in the benefit of showing he’s a better person, but just preparing to make money while in jail.

There should be no mercy or tolerance towards Lil’ Wayne and his dental issue.  He knew for a good amount of time that he was going to jail, and should not have waited until the last minute to have this surgery performed.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has expressed his seriousness on gun control over the past few years, making it mandatory for anyone caught in illegal possession of a firearm to serve mandatory jail time.

Former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is the most recent New York City superstar to be an example of the state judicial system. He was sentenced to two years in prison for accidentally shooting himself in a New York City nightclub.

Lil’ Wayne is the second rapper in the past year to serve jail time because of weapon possession.  Atlanta-based rapper and actor T.I. was sentenced to 366 days in prison after his 2007 arrest for illegally attempting to purchase firearms in his hometown of Atlanta.

Many people, including myself, believe that Lil’ Wayne’s time in jail will be equivalent to time spent on a small vacation. Granted, no time in jail is vacation but he will be isolated from the rest of the prison population and probably given preferential treatment by star-struck prison security. 

It has become extremely evident in the past that superstars receive lighter sentences than normal citizens in this country, Lil Wayne being the most recent example of that. 

Would Lil’ Wayne still have been offered the same amount of jail time if he was not a rapper, or better yet, if he did not have as much money as he does?  It seems that those artists with large sums of money get lighter jail sentences.

The judicial system has wisely used these entertainment figures to be advocates for peace and gun safety in exchange for lighter jail sentences, but in some cases I feel like it does nothing but benefit them even more. They come out making the same music and more than likely commit the same crime again.

It is about time that these superstars stop being treated like they are saints.  They have so much more of an influence on society and if we keep showing that they can get off easy, they will continue to commit these offenses.

The end result is that rappers, actors and those in the public eye should receive the same treatment that a normal person would get.  They are not learning anything if they are not punished the correct way.

• Joseph Escobar