Lady Aggies’ win streak stops at 30

The Lady Aggies could not continue their winning streak in Corbett Sports Center.

After winning 30 consecutive games at Corbett Sports center against MEAC opponents the Lady Aggies fell 74-66 to Hampton

University on Feb 14, live on ESPNU. The Aggies 30 game win streak spanned over four seasons.

The Lady Aggies 30th consecutive win at home came against the Howard University Bison on Feb. 12. The Aggies defeated the Bison 58-54.

In Monday night’s game North Carolina A&T scored the first four points of the game and maintained an early lead over the

Hampton University Pirates; but found themselves trailing with 16 minutes to play in the first half.

Once the Pirates took the lead they never looked back.

Free throws from Pirate center Sherena Abercrumbia capped an 18-3 run for Hampton, which gave the Pirates a 23-9 lead over the Aggies.

The Pirates pushed their lead to as many as 17 and ended the half up by 7 at 31-24.

The Lady Aggies began the second half similar to the first, quick on the offense, scoring early.  A jumper by Aggie guard Tracy King capped a 10-4 run by the Lady Aggies and pulled A&T to within one.

The spurt of offense by the Lady Aggies would not be enough to hold off the Pirates.

With just over 16 minutes of game left the Pirates had a run of their own, which stretched over three minutes of play; the Lady Aggies were outscored 16-5 and found themselves down by 12 points at 51-39.

A&T refused to give up, with just over 12 minutes the Lady Aggies offense made another run to get them back in the game.

The Lady Aggies 12-5 run spanned over six minutes and tied the game for the first time since the 16:13 mark in the first half. 

Over the last six minutes of action the Lady Aggies tried to keep up with the Pirates but their efforts would not be enough.

The Lady Aggies were defeated 74-66 after an impressive attempt to overcome a 12 point second half deficit. The loss to Hampton is the first loss for the Aggies at Corbett Sports Center, against a MEAC opponent, since the 2006-2007 season.

Sophomore guard, JaQuayla Berry led the Lady Aggies with 26 points; freshman guard Mikala Scott added 10 points. King added 10 points and a career high 10 rebounds in the loss to Hampton.  

Choicetta McMillian led the Pirates with 22 points; Jericka Jenkins recorded 14 points and Keiara Avant added 14 points  and Melanie  Warner added 13 points to ad Hampton to a victory. The Pirates’ win over the Aggies lifts Hampton to an 11-1 MEAC record.

In Saturday’s game agianst Howard, JaQuayla Berry led the Lady Aggies with 26 points and 8 rebounds. Jaleesa Sams recorded a double-double adding 10 points and 14 rebounds.

The Lady Aggies are now 6-2 at home, 6-1 against MEAC opponents and fall to 12-14, 7-5 in MEAC play.

A&T is back in action against MEAC opponent South Carolina State on Feb 19 in Orangeburg SC.

• Lauren Morgan