90 teens pregnant at Memphis high school

Teen pregnancy is increasingly becoming an epidemic in today’s society. With shows and movies like “Teen Mom,” “16 and Pregnant,” and “Juno” the media is indirectly introducing youth to this epidemic.

The Lifetime network even premiered “The Pregnancy Pact” in early 2010; which was based on a true story in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

So upon hearing that nearly 90 female students at Frayser High School—in Memphis, Tennessee—were pregnant or recently had a child, I was not surprised.

For some youth, media is their first teacher. So when they view shows that are plastered with teen pregnancy, promiscuity, and sexuality what are they being taught?

That it is okay to start having sex at a young age and that you will be accepted if you come to school with a big belly? I think so. The consequences of sex are not presented in a manner that would trigger a delay in sexual acts. Sex is more glorified than taboos.

Take “The Pregnancy Pact” for instance. 18 teenage girls—as young as 15-years-old—at Glouchester High School made a pact to all become pregnant at the same time. To them it probably seemed like a fun thing to do.

However, this was actually quite an immature mindset. Not only were they having sex, they were having sex unprotected. This put them at risk of STDs and ultimately many of them became pregnant.

Similarly, students at Frayser became pregnant in large numbers as well. It remains unclear whether these pregnancies were intentional or on accident.

But in an interview with Memphis’ Action News 5, teenage mother Terrika Sutton stated “It’s a shame that all these girls at Frayser are pregnant, but it ain’t nothing new. Some girls just try to do it because they think it’s cute. For some, it’s an accident.”  

According to myfoxmemphis.com, [Memphis] city officials are implementing the “No Baby!” campaign in an attempt to combat these large numbers. This campaign plans to help educate teenage girls and boys about the resources that will help prevent unplanned pregnancies.

It is unfortunate that it takes a large number of teens to get pregnant in order for programs such as “No Baby!” to be enforced.

Having sex education classes does not necessarily encourage teens to have sex. It educates them on the risks and consequences of engaging in sex. So if they do decide to have sex, they will use caution and make smarter decisions.

The fear of unplanned pregnancies has surpassed. They are occurring nationwide, and it’s now time to prevent them.

• DaShawn Fleming