Kappa Alpha Psi celebrates 100 years

The Alpha Nu chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated celebrated achieving 100 years as an organization with a two-day event held in the General Classroom Building.

It featured a keynote speaker as well as a panel discussion about the fraternity and its history.

Ten collegiate students founded Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, January 5, 1911 on the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.

The Alpha Nu chapter was founded on North Carolina A&T’s campus April 14, 1933.  

Thursday night began at 7:11 p.m. when a slideshow displayed pictures of the fraternity throughout their 100 year course while the Kappa Alpha Psi hymn played. Members of the

Alpha Nu chapter presented biographical tributes to the founders of the fraternity. The keynote speaker of the night was Kevin Graves, a spring 1991 initiate to the Mu Iota chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi at UNC-Greensboro.

When asked about the advantages of Greek life, Graves said, “I think you can learn so much from Greek life about public image, parliamentarian procedures and governmental structure, how to run a business meeting, and dealing with diversity.”  

The second day the program was titled Kappa 101 and featured a panel discussion. The panelists were all alumni chapter members who all have a connection to A&T.

Brian Biles, a spring 1997 initiate into the Baltimore Alumni chapter, Steve Rush, a fall 2008 initiate into the Greensboro Alumni chapter, and DeWitt Powell, a spring 1980 initiate into the Hyattsville/Landover Alumni chapter all responded on various questions that were asked by people in attendance.

Each of the panelists discussed how Kappa taught them skills that applied to both the organization and life.

Rush, then a chemical engineer major, had to prioritize his time between school, playing basketball for A&T, and then eventually Kappa Alpha Psi. He credited that for his ability to cope in his professional life.

Biles also agreed that prioritization is essential. “X-box and Facebook; you need to put those things to the side. They are just a distraction. You have to organize your time and know when to put things to the side.”

The panelists touched on the importance of getting internships, going to graduate school and getting the advanced degrees, and networking.

Rush said, “Networking is important. Job experience is helpful because what you learn in the classroom is rarely what is done in the office.”

Biles left the audience thinking that, “The legacy you leave should be what you think about and what others see.”

• Jonathan Veal & Noma Vilane