In Brief-Stories around A&T

Stories around North Carolina A&T State University: Events

and things that are going on

A&T to celebrate engineering week

National Engineers Week will take place February 20-26. This years theme is, “7 billion people, 7 billion dreams and 7 billion chances for engineers to turn dreams into reality.” N.C. A&T will celebrate through an array of events throughout the week. The Opening Ceremony will be that Monday at noon in McNair Hall Auditorium. Additional activities include: pre-college initiative events (for middle and high school students), Energy Day, professional development seminars, an Awards Banquet, and Career Fair. On Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 8:00 – 3:30 p.m., approximately 700 middle school and high school students are expected to participate in the pre-college initiative day on campus. These students will participate in hands-on activities in engineering. Finally, the week will end with the Order of the Engineer Ceremony, with graduating seniors taking the “Oath of Engineering.”

Johnson names emergency managing coordinator

N.C. A&T has named Timothy I. Johnson, III, MPA, its new emergency management coordinator. The University of Southern Mississippi graduate, has over 12 years of experience in this field and has responded to over 22 disasters in eight states. Prior to coming to A&T, Johnson served as an emergency management planner for the North Carolina Division of Emergency Management, where he coordinated response missions for human services related to sheltering and mass feeding.

Energy day to be held at A&T

N.C. A&T will host its third annual Energy Day Celebration for grades 6-12 on Feb. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. More than 800 students are projected to fill Cherry and Graham Halls. The students will rotate through activities featuring solar energy, wind energy, photovoltaic energy, bio-fuels, lighting, hydrogen fuel cells and others. They will also be given time to visit exhibits by Duke Energy and the Center for Energy Research and Technology and more.

Webb featured in national Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship Ad Campaign

A&T student Jessica Webb, a junior chemistry major, is being featured in a national advertising campaign by the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi to promote their study abroad scholarships. The ad featuring Webb is being sent to colleges and universities throughout the country. In the spring of 2011, Webb applied for and won one of only 50 $1,000 grants provided by the group to help students afford the expense of studying abroad. She used them for her study abroad experience in Denmark this past summer.

A&T sponsors annual career fair

The 2012 Spring Career Fair in Corbett Sports Center on Thursday, Feb. 23, from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Students/alumni, in particular, will be able to speak one-on-one with employers to obtain career guidance and advice as well as distribute or upload resumes for potential full-time, co-op or summer internship positions. To date, 113 employers from across the country have registered to attend. A complete listing of participating employers, career fair article, and appropriate dress can be found at www.careerserv.ncat.edu.

Â