How to give your wardrobe a mature update

You learn plenty of lessons as you go through college and move into the workforce, but one that isn’t taught is fashion. There are no courses on how to look more pulled together and professional, but it would be valuable advice to have. If you haven’t taken a good hard look at your closet to determine whether you’re dressing your age, it’s probably time to do so.

The good news is that you don’t need to change your essential style – you just need to look for new ways to interpret it. If you like an eclectic look, don’t forego your accessories; just consider wearing them in different ways. If a feminine look is your ideal, look for ways to make you clothes say “woman” rather than “girl.”

Having a mature wardrobe doesn’t mean having a boring closet, either. In fact, you can have your pick of exciting trends, and with age comes a little extra buying power. Adding designer pieces that have trend-defying quality is actually more affordable than ever. Thanks to online shopping sites that offer deep discounts, you can pick up items like elegant Michael Kors silk blouses.

You should also consider adding certain elements to your wardrobe – or updating with higher quality examples.

* Outerwear. Wearing a down parka over a party dress isn’t a good idea, no matter how frigid the temperatures. While you should definitely keep functional jackets for active outings, add refined wool coats in a few colors (black and camel are good options) so that you can coordinate with whatever you’re wearing. They’ll provide a sleeker look while still keeping you toasty warm.

* Evening dresses. What you wear for partying at the club is one thing; your look for a grown-up gathering should be quite another. Opt for versatile dresses that can be adapted for multiple occasions, but don’t limit yourself to just one. A little black dress should have a place in any closet, but so too should more colorful options that are appropriate for weddings.

* Shoes. Again, no need to throw out your weekend wear, but don’t get caught wearing beat-up shoes for more refined occasions. Adding high heels is a quick way to elevate your outfit, literally and figuratively, but don’t just opt for any pair. Keep a few conservative pairs for the office and more serious occasions, but add a bright pair or two for fun. If you feel uncomfortable in heels, don’t despair. Embellished flats from designers like BCBGMaxAzria are an equally good option – and definitely are easier to walk in.

Making your wardrobe more age appropriate will help you better express who you are to employers, coworkers and others. It’s also a fun exercise in making your wardrobe over, and a great way to start building a collection of classic pieces that can stand the test of time.