How to shop for spring and summer shoe trends

Now that your boots are snuggled securely at the back of your closet, it’s time to turn your toes toward shoes for spring and summer. As you start mentally putting together outfits for the season, think of shoes as an easy way to bring current trends into your wardrobe and liven up the items you already have.

Shopping for shoes online gives you far more options than if you just hit the stores. Searching sites that offer designer items at a discount also lets you get runway-fresh trends at more affordable prices. Keep these key trends in mind as you shop for spring and summer shoes:

* Intense color. Bright, saturated hues are everywhere for the spring/summer seasons, both in the form of color blocking and multi-colored stripes. To bring the no-holds-barred color trend to your wardrobe, opt for shoes like raspberry suede strappy heels from Christian Louboutin. Whether you pair them with neutrals for a pop of color or wear them with grass greens, cobalt blues or citron yellows, colorful shoes will keep you on trend.

* Espadrilles. The beachy classic is being reinvented by any number of designers and shoemakers, so there’s something to fit every fashionista’s taste. Whether you choose a flat version perfect for going to the beach, or something more dramatic, like a platform iteration from Fendi that features grosgrain ribbon to lace around the ankle, you’ll find that this classic style can be worn in a multitude of ways.

* Strappy styles. Soaking up the sun is one of the best parts of summer, and the strappy styles that are popping up everywhere let your feet in on the pleasure, too. The trend takes a lot of forms, featuring straps in every shape and size, from bold and wide to slender and demure, as on strappy wedges from Cole Haan. That means that you can adapt it to almost any situation, whether it’s a Sunday brunch with Mom or a night on the town with the girls.

* Platform sandals. As long as your shoes take you one step closer to supermodel heights, you’ll be guaranteed to be in style this summer. Towering heels are everywhere, and a platform makes it that much easier to wear stratospheric heels. Any number of other trends fit into the platform style – you’ll find them in bold colors, as espadrilles, as wedges and embellished with straps.