Quick and easy breakfasts can be nutritious too

(ARA) – Serving up a quick and nutritious breakfast is easier than you think. A high-quality protein breakfast like eggs can be made in less than three minutes and gives your family the energy they need on big days at school, on the field and beyond. High-quality protein eggs are a great value at less than 15 cents per serving, and now they are lower in cholesterol.

The United States Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) recently reviewed the nutrient composition of standard large eggs, and results show the average amount of cholesterol in one large egg is 185 mg, 14 percent lower than previously recorded.

The USDA-ARS analysis also revealed that a single large egg now contains 41 IU of vitamin D, an increase of 64 percent from 2002. Eggs are one of the few foods that are a naturally good source of vitamin D, which plays an important role in helping to form and maintain strong bones.

Before your family runs out the door, try this quick and easy recipe. Pair it with whole grains and fruit for a quick and nutritious breakfast.

For more information on cholesterol and the nutritional benefits of eggs along with egg recipes, visit www.IncredibleEgg.org.

Coffee Cup Scramble

Prep Time: 1 minute

Cook Time: 45 to 60 seconds

Makes: 1 serving

2 eggs

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese

Salt and pepper

1. Coat 12-ounce microwave-safe coffee mug with cooking spray. Add eggs and milk; beat until blended.

2. Microwave on high 45 seconds; stir. Microwave until eggs are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer.

3. Top with cheese; season with salt and pepper.

Nutrition information per serving: 197 calories; 9 g total fat; 4 g saturated fat; 1 g polyunsaturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat; 192 mg cholesterol; 408 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fi ber; 11 g protein; 391.7 IU vitamin A; 41.0 IU vitamin D; 55.3 mcg folate; 121.0 mg calcium; 2.0 mg iron; 129.8 mg choline.