How your digestive tract can help you stay healthy through cold and flu season

(ARA) – Most people think of frequent hand washing and avoiding touching the eyes, nose and mouth when it comes to trying to stay healthy during cold and flu season. However, many don’t realize the major role the digestive system plays in boosting immune health and helping people feel their best during the cold winter months.

You may be surprised to learn that approximately 80 percent of your immune system is actually housed in your digestive tract. As a result, keeping your immune system strong means taking steps to ensure your digestive tract is in optimal condition.

This comes down to a battle of “good” versus “bad” bacteria. While everyone has both types of bacteria in their digestive tract, by shifting the balance in favor of more “good” bacteria than “bad” bacteria, you can help keep your immune system strong. One way to do this is to consume foods enhanced with prebiotics. A prebiotic is a non-digestible ingredient that serves as food for the “good” bacteria, also known as probiotics, which are also found in yogurts and other dairy products. Keeping “good for you” bacteria well fed creates an inhospitable environment for the “bad” bacteria and pathogens that can make you sick. The bottom line is that you want to feed the good bacteria to keep the bad bacteria that can compromise your health at bay.

Keeping immune systems strong during the winter months when cold and flu viruses are rampant is particularly important. Frequent hand washing and getting a flu shot is a good first step, but just as important is feeding the good bacteria in the digestive tract, which helps to continually support immune health.

Incorporating prebiotics into your diet is likely easier than you may think. A wide variety of food and beverage products and supplements enhanced with prebiotics can be found in most supermarkets nationwide. One of the most effective prebiotic fibers available today is NutraFlora scFOS prebiotic fiber, which can be found in a variety of popular foods, including Barbara’s Bakery Wild Puffs and Multigrain Puffins cereals, Horizon Organic smoothies and yogurts, DeWaflebakkers frozen waffles and pancakes, and Julie’s Organic ice cream. Consumers can also identify foods containing NutraFlora by looking for the NutraFlora green leaf seal on packaging.

In addition to helping to keep your immune system strong, prebiotics offer another big benefit. They can help develop and maintain strong bones. Encouraging the growth of good bacteria in your digestive tract also helps with increased calcium absorption, which plays an important role in bone health.