Miss A&T gives coronation a make-over

“text-align: justify; text-indent: 12pt;”>

“line-height: 14px; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; letter-spacing: 0.2pt;”>

Instead of kicking off homecoming with the sounds of gospel music,

students, faculty, family, and friends traveled to the Nile for

this year’s coronation of Mr. and Miss N.C. A&T.

Instead of kicking off homecoming with the sounds of gospel music, students, faculty, family, and friends traveled to the Nile for this year’s coronation of Mr. and Miss N.C. A&T.

Hieroglyphics, actors dressed as wild animals, and Egyptian music all played a part in transforming the Alumni Events Center into the royal affair entitled, “A Night on the Nile,” — a change from hosting coronation at Corbett Sports Center.

“It was definitely what Gurley and I wanted,” said Jordan Brunson, this year’s Mr. A&T. “This has changed the game for coronation, all the changes we made turned out in our favor.”

Brunson, a senior chemistry major from Columbus, Ohio and Miss A&T Jasmine Gurley, a senior journalism and mass communications major from Mitchellville, Md., have been working rigorously since March to plan this event.

After shooting down many ideas, the two agreed that an Egyptian theme was what they wanted to create, and in order to fully execute this plan they had to move away from the traditional use of Corbett Sports Center.

“We knew it would be an intimate formal setting,” said Gurley about the decision to switch to the Alumni Events Center. “Trying to make a basketball gym ready for coronation is not easy and it didn’t seem appropriate.”

Both Brunson and Gurley agreed that they wanted their coronation to have a more intimate setting, and holding it in the gym does not allow students to feel a part of the production.

The evening kicked off with greetings from faculty and administrators followed by the entrance of campus organization kings and queens and class office royalty.

Brunson made his entrance to the crowd with a shining smile and hand wave to match.

All eyes were then glued to the grand entrance of Miss A&T. Carried in by four robust guards, Gurley made her entrance on top of an elaborate carriage.

A dance tribute to the tune of, “Remember the Time,” by Michael Jackson was performed by members of Golden Delight followed by the introduction of the organizational kings and queens.

Separated by categories of academics, Greeks, hometowns, and recreation each king and queen was introduced and then presented a gift.

“It was really nice that we could be a part of the tradition,” said Kimberly Waldron, Miss United Christian Fellowship. “It was classy, and I was proud of the students who came out and dressed up.”

Gurley ended the night by making tear-felt remarks on how happy she was to serve as Miss A&T and the pride she felt by seeing so many students coming to support her and Brunson.

“Seeing how much support me and Jordan had from campus was overwhelming,” said Gurley. “All the people coming out, the thought they put in, that’s the part that really make me feel good.”

Following coronation was a reception in Stallings Ballroom decked out in more Egyptian themes featuring an elaborate buffet.

“It was a gorgeous event,” said former Mr. A&T Todd Porter. “This year’s was a lot more personal.”

—[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie C. McCrae, Editor-in-Chief