Aggies blown away at the ‘Coast’

The Aggies lost another heartbreaker for the second consecutive week to the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina making the team a mere 2-2- 1 overall for the season in their loss 28-7 Saturday evening.

Both teams came out the gates with no gas in the tank going scoreless in the first quarter with Quarterback Carlton Fears going 7-for-22, accumulating only 99 yards passing while throwing 2 interceptions in the game.

“We have to execute better with our quarterbacks,” said Lee. “Every time we had a big play tonight, there was a penalty on that play.

‘We just have to continue fighting.”

“We simplified our offense some this week, and we’re going to simplify it even a little bit more next week.”

“We’re going to keep doing that until we can get the nuts and bolts squared away.”

The Chanticleers rushed for over 304 yards while running back Erik O’ Neal gained a career high 130 yards on 23 carries, to compliment the running game Tommy Fraser chipped in earning 98 yards in a touchdown on 16 carries.

The Chanticleers offense got going in the later portion of the second quarter starting with two field goals by Justin Durham giving the team a 6-0 advantage, before Chanticleers Quarterback Jamie Childers ran for a much needed 10 yard touch down run, capped off with a two- point conversion to tight end David Duran to give the team a 14-0 lead.

The Aggies fought back in the third quarter lead by freshman wide out Larry Raper going all the way to the Chanticleer 9 yard line on a 51 yard gain.

“At first I was going in a little too far on my route,” said Raper. “I knew he couldn’t check me, so I just ran right by him, got to the middle of the field and beat him deep.”

On the next play Raper finished the drive on a hand off for a 9 yard touchdown run, to cut the lead to 14-7.

The Chanticleers roared back with 73 yard six play drive in an impressive 3 minute segment, leading to MacDowall throwing a 55 yard bomb to wide out Brandon Whitley making the game 21-7.

The Chants put the game out of reach with a  39 yard touch run from Tommy Fraser, in the final minutes of regulation, making the final score 28-7.

“We’re going to go back and focus on our bread and better,” said Lee. “Hopefully, we can get better by running our bread and butter.”

The Aggies face N.C. Central Saturday evening in Aggie Stadium. 

• Carlton Brown