Aggies complain about funding for the university

I love helping people. It has always been a passion of mine. So today, I would like to help readers understand why they should stop complaining, especially when they are getting what they have asked for.

As a transfer student, I always heard students complain about what A&T does not have in comparison to other schools, like University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

A better Student Union, health facility, and eateries are just  a few of the things that students have mentioned that they would like to have improved.

Well, A&T listened when you spoke. They are in the process of renovating our current Student Center, which will have more restaurant choices.

A brand new Health Center is currently being built as well. Since two of the many problems have been resolved, people want to complain about the resolution because they feel that they should not have to pay for the new additions to the school if they will not be here to enjoy it.

I suggest doing research before you complain. You might learn something.

There is a charge of $566 for required fees that have been billed to students. Amongst other things, the Health Center, Student Union and stadium system are included on this bill. $42.50, $25.00 and $28.00, respectively, is all students are required to pay to help improve their campus, yet, some students still complain.

Well, I have a question. Are you complaining about the Aggie Villages or Aggie Suites? How about McAlister’s, the Recreation Center, New Science building or the New Academic Classroom Building?

There may be some things I am leaving out, but I am certain that students before us had to invest money to help pull this campus together.

Are they still here to enjoy where their money went? I think we all should feel good knowing that we are helping make this campus better and providing a better establishment for future Aggies.

Some students have heard and believe that the tuition increase has to do with the new construction on campus. False, the tuition increase for in-state and out-of-state students is state mandated.

Unfortunately, A&T was on the short end of the stick and had to charge out-of-state students 12.3 percent more than the previous year.

A&T has taken big budget cuts this year. The UNC System together has been cut by $115 million, as the University Gazette reports, and A&T took an additional $6.3 million cut as it anticipated state budget cuts, as reported last semester by the A&T Register.

Administrators did not wake up one morning and say, “You know what would be funny?

Jacking up the tuition and watching students complain!”

Instead, they were probably heavily debating who and what to cut while still protecting students and providing them with adequate necessities to obtain a higher education.

The next time you decide to complain about anything, take the time to do research and find out the reasoning behind it. If you still are not happy, make a change. That is the benefit of living in America.

—Email Kimberly at [email protected] and follow us on twitter @TheATRegister

• Kimberly Fields, Register Reporter