Tips for holiday tipping, from the hairdresser to the babysitter

(ARA) – In addition to shopping for family and friends, the holiday season is traditionally a time to show appreciation for the people who make your life easier throughout the year by giving a gift or tip. It can be daunting to identify all the people to thank and then find the time and money to get the right expression of appreciation for each.

Here are some ideas to help you make sure that the important people in your life feel appreciated this holiday season:

Make a list

The first thing to tackle is making your list. Here are some of the service providers you may want to consider thanking this year:

* Hairdresser

* Garage or door attendants in the building where you live or work

* Personal trainer

* Child’s teacher

* Child care provider – babysitter, nanny, day care

* Housekeeper

* Dog walker and/or groomer

* Gardener, pool cleaner

* Package or mail delivery person

Setting the gift value

As you set the value for each gift, you may want to take into account:

* Frequency of service – How long has this person has been working with you, and how accommodating are they? Does your babysitter cancel plans to help you last minute? Does your longtime hairdresser stay late to give you a cut after work?

* Cost of service – When deciding how much to give, you can often use the cost of the service as a starting point. The housekeeper might receive the equivalent of a day of cleaning; the dog walker, a day or week of walking.

* Policies – If you are tipping someone who works for a larger organization, you may want to do some research to find out their gift policies as there may be restrictions on the type or value of a gift.

* Your budget – Last, but definitely not least, work within your budget. Gifts are not required, but expressing appreciation is essential. A thoughtful note accompanying a gift or by itself is the best way to say thank you.

Finding the perfect way to say thank you

Once you’ve made your list and set your budget, it’s time to select gifts. For some of those on your list, a thoughtful note of appreciation inside a holiday card may be all that is needed. Homemade baked goods are also a great way to say thank you. You may have gifts already picked out for some on your list.

For others, you may find yourself wondering if giving cash is appropriate, or guessing your babysitter’s sweater size. An easy solution to giving a gift that always fits is giving a gift card that carries the name of a payment network, such as Visa. According to a recent Visa survey, 65 percent of people would rather receive a network-branded gift card than a non-essential gift, such as a sweater, a holiday scarf or a bottle of cologne.

Network-branded gift cards can be used anywhere that brand’s payment cards are accepted, so the recipient can use the card to purchase what they really want or need. Unlike cash, many branded gift cards can be replaced if lost or stolen.

Branded gift cards are easy for givers as well: They can be purchased in a wide variety of everyday retail locations or online in the denomination of your choice, preventing you from spending more than you planned.

Even with the best of intentions, it’s easy to forget to include someone on your list. You may want to purchase a couple of extra gift cards to have on-hand in case you forget someone (who remembers you) or you are invited to a last-minute holiday event. If the cards aren’t needed, you can simply use them yourself.

Thoughtful and easy, branded gift cards are a perfect way to say thanks to those who help make your life easier throughout the year.