Aggies revamp new website for users

After 16 years, N.C. A&T finally got a face-lift. Over the weekend the release of the new campus web site debuted to thousands.

“The web site looks amazing,” said Heather Smith, a junior business management major from Raleigh. “It is a well-needed upgrade.”

Monday marked the official release of the web site to campus. According to Barbara Ellis, vice chancellor of information technology this is only phase one of the release.

“We want to use this web site as a sales channel for the university, so we are always actively talking about the great things we are doing,” she said. “Phase one expanded in scope so we could bring the entire university in.”

Six months from now, the web site will continue onto its next phase and have more updates such as more pages, content, and an intranet system, which is an internal site used for students, faculty, and staff.

“Intranet is a site that is used internally by the university community,” she says. “If I had news to get to the faculty, instead of using email, I will have a HR spot on the intranet site that only university faculty, students can see.”

Since 1996, A&T has operated under the same web domain for its campus site. It was run solely by individuals in information technology (IT), and now it’s under the reigns of University Relations.

“It’s really just another arm of what University Relations is really all about,” said Nicole Pride, associate vice chancellor for university relations. “Being the official voice of the institution and overseer of brand marketing, communication strategies, etc, it makes sense that a web site to be housed with us.”

Although University Relations maintains the site in order to brand it, they are still partnered with IT to make sure the upkeep is handled properly.

For over a year a committee For over a year a committee of seven people have undergone numerous meetings to upgrade this web site.

Under a $400,000 Title 3 grant, this committee was able to pay for this new site.

“This grant allowed us to do project enhance how we do business,” said Pride. “We use these dollars to get the equipment, and some design.”

Originally scheduled to only update a portion of the web site, Pride says they wanted to go beyond just one part. Initially they wanted to update the admissions, and campus life aspect of the web site.

The new site was set to release last November, however due to wanting to change the site entirely it was postponed until last weekend.

“We decided that we deserved more as an institution at the time,” said Pride. “We thought it would be more effective if we did a full redesign and offer more content across the board for consistency.”

The web site now offers a variety of changes. Unlike the past, when content had to be submitted to IT before posted, it now can be updated by each division by way of a site coordinator. Each college and school now has a designated coordinator to review, edit, and post web site information.

As of Monday the web site had 22,000 hits, over 100,000 page views, 4.56 pages per visit, and the average user spent around five minutes on the site.

“I hope this web site recruits students, the type that belong to this institution. I hope it showcases our excellence, brings more donors, and quality faculty and staff,” says Pride.

For a view of the new website, go to www.ncat.edu

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie McCrae, Editor in Chief