How stupid is beginning semesters midweek? Oh, let me count the ways

Society made the work and school week Monday through Friday for a reason. Sunday is supposed to be the day we all dread because it means school/work starts the next day.

Friday is supposed to be the day we look forward to after a long five day work week. Besides tradition, there’s another reason school usually starts on Monday, because it makes sense!

This is especially true for college students, especially after a long holiday. Why does every school seem to get this but North Carolina A&T? In the two years I’ve been here, every semester has started mid-week. Is it too much to ask to get one last full week off?

They just can’t give us those two days and let us start on Monday like every other school? Starting school mid-week is wrong for a few reasons, the first of which is the travel.

The cheapest way to get back to school is to drive, that is if you have parents who are able to take to drive you back to school or you have a friend you can carpool with.

So unless you have your own car driving is not an option, which forces a lot of people including myself to spend money on train and airline tickets in the middle of a recession.

Not everyone has an airport close by, so making travel arrangements to the airport is quite hectic.

Another reason that classes starting on a Thursday are wrong is that most students still do not come, resulting in absences and complications.

Putting blame on mixed up schedules; meetings with advisors and wrong locations usually excuse first week absences while some teachers are bold enough to announce that they will not take attendance the first week just to avoid any complications. 

In the end, those of us who actually went along with the stupidity of coming back to school mid-week feel even more stupid.

Missing class is not excusable, but when you think about it can you really blame them? This brings me to my next reason, nothing substantial goes on in class those first two days. We all know that in the first two days all we do is get the syllabus, play a dumb introduction game and leave.

Plus all the syllabuses are posted online so you can read and catch up to what was missed.

Now I can only speak for my own personal experience, no professor I have had has tried to teach a lesson on the first day that is not repeated the next week.

The only slight advantage is that you get on the professors good side, but I cannot help but question if they really keep in mind throughout the semester who came to class that first day and who did not. 

Most professors do not even think it is a good idea. Some professors do not even bother showing up,

I know one of my professors did not show up to class on Thursday and I know for a fact that I am not the only person that has had that happen.

The professors who do show up also complain about the stupidity of classes starting on Thursday right along with us students.

Now when students and teachers agree about something you know it must be true. My personal favorite reason why starting the semesters mid-week is wrong is because it is stupid.

If you still do not question for yourself why, please refer back to reason one and work your way down.

All I have heard since I have been back are these complaints and many more. After four semesters of nothing but complaints, I figured this editorial was long over-due. My hope is that the administration finally sees the light, and begins to start future semesters on Mondays. 

• Sylvia Obell