A&T football team serves bye week, awaits Howard

The N.C. A&T football team (2-0, 0-0) is off to a great start that has Aggie fans energized about the 2013 season.

For the first time since 2009, A&T has won the first two games of the season.

A&T’s football program opened this season with unlikely victories against Appalachian State University 24-21 (0-2, 0-0) and Elon University 23-10(1-2, 0-0).  

Thus far, the A&T defense is surrendering only 15.5 points per contest.  

Senior safety, Travis Crosby has compiled 19 tackles in 2 games this season, while All-American linebacker D’vonte Grant has totaled 14.  Grant silenced the Mountaineer faithful at Kidd Brewer stadium in week one when he returned an interception for a 57-yard touchdown.  Sophomore defensive lineman Danniel Pinnix has also had a strong start for the Aggies, leading the defense with 3 sacks and 4.5 tackles for a loss.  

The Aggies have been stout against the run this year.  Appalachian State and Elon averaged a mere 56 yards rushing against the Aggies compared to the 163.5 yards per game that the Aggies offense is manufacturing on the ground.  

Against the Mountaineers, it was Tony McRae and his 91-yard kickoff return touchdown in the first quarter that lit the flame that A&T opponents have yet to smother.  The return was A&T’s first touchdown of the season for an A&T team that waited two years to avenge a 58-6 loss the Aggies suffered in Boone in 2011.  

Senior Lewis Kindle answered any questions concerning the quarterback position for the Aggies on Saturday after a promising performance.  

After serving a one-game suspension against Appalachian State, Kindle posted a career-high 288 passing yards completing 20 of 38 passes and a touchdown Saturday.  Kindle posted 3 passing touchdowns and 11 interceptions, during 2012’s 7-4 campaign.

Sophomore Kawshaun Quick had a nice showing in week one of the season.  As the starter against Appalachian State, Quick posted solid numbers completing 12 of 21 passes for 121 yards and a touchdown.

Many were surprised to see Kindle get the start against Elon after Quick engineered a monumental victory in Boone.  

Receiver Desmond Lawrence has emerged as the premiere pass catcher for A&T, compiling 15 catches for 191 yards and a score.  Last season, the Aggies took a step backwards in the passing game after the departure of All-MEAC receiver Wallace Miles.  

Running back Dominique Drake has carried the load for the Aggies, posting a total of 177 rushing yards on 47 attempts.  Last season, Drake compiled 185 yards in 6 games on the ground.  The redshirt senior comes into the 2013 season replacing the services of A&T’s all-time leading rusher Mike Mayhew who graduated last season.   

Drake is also the team’s second leading pass catcher with 4 receptions for a total of 36 yards.    

This week, the Aggies will be serving a bye week.  On Sept. 26, the Aggies will begin conference play in Aggie Stadium against Howard.  

The game will be aired on ESPNU.  Last year, in front of ESPNU cameras, A&T allowed Morgan State’s Robert Council to throw a 32-yard touchdown with only 10 seconds left in regulation, erasing the Aggies’ late fourth quarter lead.

With ESPN coverage in their backyard for the second time in six years, it will be interesting to see how the Aggies perform after being defeated in hail-mary fashion last year.  

However, the Aggies have their work cut out for them against the Howard Bison. The Bison are currently 1-2 and are coming off a lopsided outcome losing 76-19 against the Old Dominion Monarchs (1-2, 0-0).  

The Bison, led by quarterback Greg McGhee, surrendered 4 turnovers—2 interceptions and two lost fumbles.  McGhee finished 19 of 26 for 215 yards.  

On defense, the Bison allowed the Monarchs to amass a total of 733 offensive yards.

If there was ever a time to be confident in Aggie football, the time is now.

—Email Kalyn at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Kalyn Hoyle, Managing Editor