Stereotypical behaviors plague reality television

Ignorance truly is bliss depending on the size of the check. As the New Year presses on, the media continues to push the envelope of television. Stereotypical behavior is painfully becoming the new reality. Fights, screaming matches, and hair pulling are the common denominators. Realistically speaking, these shows have lost their authenticity.

People on reality shows are not themselves. Everyone has a role to play. Reality television is no longer about portraying real-life. It has become more about fulfilling a character role. Though the channels may vary, the characters are always the same.

Whether it is the “villain,” “Miss attitude,” “the fighter,” or “the home wrecker,” everyone has a role to play in today’s reality productions.  As the viewers, we never request more from these networks so they continue to mass-produce and promote what they know will get ratings.

What is the allure of reality shows that keeps us captivated? Week after week the storyline remains the same.

All we get from these shows is backstabbing fueled drama. We do not walk away from these shows more enlightened. Certain viewers seemingly long to be these characters.

They begin to talk, dress and act like the characters they see portrayed on these reality shows.

As viewers, we talk about reality show personalities in our day to day lives as if we know them.

They become a part of our general conversations. We hash out judgments on over-sensationalized and likely scripted scenarios as if we were there.

We argue via social media over who was right and who was wrong as if these people care what we think. I highly doubt their lives would stop if they knew viewers thought of them as the worst member of the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” cast.

As of late, networks have been going too far. TLC is currently exploiting people’s grief with the network’s new show “Best Funerals Ever.”

Other shows depict girls as young as three getting spray tans. Older women are arguing with each other proclaiming to be “gone with the wind fabulous.”

Viewers aspire to be young adults seeming to have no ambition outside of gym, tan and laundry.

There is nothing real in reality television. Glass throwing and table shaking is not something the average person does on a daily basis.

Are these people really characters or the networks modern twist on Sambo? Everyone is just trying to have a good time while life passes you by.

They grin and tap dance without a care in the world for ratings and a check.

Perhaps reality television is one big minstrel show. Who is the real clown now?

• Kourtney Pope, Contributor