Excitement fills A&T as Michelle Obama named commencement speaker

Campus exploded with excitement early Wednesday morning as news hit that First Lady Michelle Obama will be delivering the spring commencement address on May 12 at the Greensboro Coliseum.

“I never thought we’d get someone as big as Michelle Obama,” said Nick Turner, a graduating senior majoring in theatre. “This is huge for our university.”

Since the inauguration of her husband, senior officials at N.C. A&T have been steadily working to get someone from the White House to speak at a graduation. Each year since then, invitations have been sent on behalf of the university.

“Every opportunity our chancellor got, he was always pushing to get it,” said Debroah Calloway. “This is a once and a lifetime opportunity for A&T.”

Obama is slated to speak at only three universities nationwide this spring. Among them are Virginia Tech, Oregon State, in addition to A&T. As the only HBCU present in this list of schools, Chancellor Harold Martin says he is more than delighted.

“It is an honor to have a global leader like First Lady Michelle Obama speak at our spring commencement,” he said. “This is an important opportunity for our students to be engaged by First Lady Obama and her message.”

As expected when dealing with a top official from the White House, security will be tighter than usual. There will be a security check for everyone entering the coliseum, which is anticipated to take around two hours.

To compensate that time, graduation’s start time has been pushed back two hours from 8 to 10 a.m. in order to accommodate the new security measures. Although there is a new start time, doors to the coliseum will still open at 7:30 a.m.

“We’re definitely talking about a high security event,” said Calloway. “Everyone will have to go through a security check. Students and parents are really going to have to be patient, because it is going to take some time to get everyone in.”

Originally, Dmitri Stockton, president and chief executive officer of GE Asset Management was scheduled to deliver the address, however once the confirmation was sent from the White House, he was asked to speak at a later date.

“I am extremely thrilled that First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver this year’s commencement address,” he said. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the class of 2012 and I look forward to joining them on the day of their graduation.”

As the election season continues to get underway, North Carolina has been considered a battleground state to both political parties. Calloway goes on to say this circumstance may have had a weighing in on A&T getting the First Lady.

“We all know it’s an election season, and we all know that politics probably had something to do with it,” she said. “I’m just happy that it’s A&T.”

Administration, faculty, and especially students are more than thrilled for this year’s speaker. Student Government Association President Christian Robinson says this is a great way to end four years of hard work.

“This feels great,” he said. “This is the best way to cap off four years of hard work in the classroom, as well as outside.”

Robinson goes on to add that Obama’s presence will only uplift the university and make it A&T a more competitive school.

“This is going to attract students,” he said. “The nation is now looking to A&T because of Obama, and will hopefully put in to the minds of potential students that A&T is a great place to come.”

Details are still unfolding as graduation gets closer. University officials have said that a complete list of security measures will be released soon.

“It is a moment that will shine the spotlight on our university, students, faculty, staff and alumni,” said Martin.

• Kelcie C. McCrae, Editor-in-Chief