It’s Miller time

There was once a kid out of Wallace, N.C., who had aspirations of playing basketball on the collegiate level. Once sought by the Aggies of A&T, this kid wanted to be the best point guard he could be. But things didn’t work out right away for J.J. Miller. He put on the blue and gold but had only minimal playing time for two years.After a graduating class and the arrival of a new coach, Curtis Hunter, he was named a full-time starter a season ago. Meanwhile, media and spectators still said he didn’t have enough to be the man and lead the Aggies to prominence. They said he lacked an offensive game and turned the ball over too much. They said all he’d have to do is pick up some offense and control the ball and he’d be the man. Well if that’s the case, then James “J.J.” Miller is the man. As point guard, J.J. leads the Aggies, averaging 16.3 points per game as well as a low assist-to-turnover ratio. Though the Aggies are below the .500 mark at 7-8, they are beginning to seize their moments as they’ve won five of their last seven games including an 82-80 thriller against Hampton. Miller led all scorers with 30 points. As college basketball commentator Dick Vitale would say, “He’s a P-T-Pier baby!” Many others on his team and opposing teams fell the same way. “J.J. has been terrific for A&T this year,” said UNCG head coach Fran McCaffery. “He scores by getting to the rim and shooting the three-pointer which makes him that much more difficult to guard.” Miller also caught a lot of people’s eyes when he exploded for 34 points against Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium. “I feel J.J. is the heart and soul of this basketball team,” said freshman guard Cornelius Tolliver. “The thing I like most about him is that his leadership off the court is just as good as his leadership on the court. I’ve learned a lot from him through practice and watching him play.” Miller is among the MEAC leaders in several statistical categories. He ranks fourth in scoring, 14th in FG Pct., sixth in assists, fourth in free throw percentage, fifth in three-point percentage, second in three-pointers made, and ninth in assist-to-turnover ratio. “J.J. can be a special player when he’s under control,” said Aggie head coach Curtis Hunter. “Sometimes he’s trying too hard, but that’s due to lack of consistent help from his teammates at times.” As Miller goes, so do the Aggies, and as his game continues to elevate to a new level, watch the Aggies basketball team to follow their leader.