The best rewards and rebates for small business owners

Smart small business owners know that customers who feel appreciated, valued and well-served are customers who stick around. If you’re a small business owner, you probably feel you deserve the same consideration from the companies you do business with – and you’re right.

Fortunately, you’re not the only one who understands the importance of rewarding customer loyalty. From cash rebate cards to travel rewards programs, small business incentives abound.

Finding the reward and rebate programs that work best for your small business can mean getting paid back for the money you spend just to do business. Here are some of the most useful programs for small business owners:

Cash back:

You may already be using a credit card to pay for essential expenses like office supplies or wireless service. These two necessary items can take a big bite out of any small business’ budget. But if you pay for them with a card that offers a cash rebate, like SimplyCash from American Express OPEN, you can get money back. SimplyCash gives 5 percent cash back for office supplies and wireless services and has no annual membership fee.

Cellular service

Cell phones have become vital tools for small business owners, helping them stay in touch with employees in the field, customers and business partners. Cellular service providers are plentiful these days, and you can turn the competition to your advantage. Many providers offer businesses special incentives for enrolling in package plans, including bundling cellular service with Internet and other features. Whether it’s adding lines at no extra charge or providing new phones every few years for nominal costs, plenty of rewards are out there for small businesses that shop around for competitive cellular offers.

Office supplies

Some office supply stores now offer loyalty programs that reward you for purchases. Check the website of office supply stores in your area and search for the details of their rewards program. Some programs offer discounts to members, and others give credit for a percentage of your total purchases that can be used toward other merchandise in the store.

Travel rewards

If travel is a necessary part of your business, enrolling in travel rewards programs is a must for your company. Whether you and your staff drive or fly, travel costs can add up quickly. Fortunately, frequent flier, traveler and diner loyalty programs can help the rewards add up quickly for your business as well. Airline miles and hotel points can help defray travel costs for small business owners, and act as a perk for employees who log many miles on behalf of the company.

Local loyalty

Chances are your small company does business with other small companies that share your commitment to earning customer loyalty. From the local print shop that handles your business card and stationery needs to the corner cafe where you buy coffee and bagels for your staff every morning, many businesses honor and reward local loyalty. Inquire about a loyalty program at every local business you frequent, and if they don’t have one encourage them to start.