Singers, poets, and spoken word artists showcased

Last Friday night, the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. hosted its firstannual Lyrical Lounge in Exhibit Hall.

The event had light refreshments, spoken word, singing and live music. Poets, singers and lyricists were welcomed from the Greensboro area. The show had a mild delay before starting, but once it began, the event carried on very smoothly with soulful jazz music from U-N’ovation, a live band from Livingston University.

The lights were dimmed down and Exhibit Hall really had a jazz café resemblance. “It really made me feel comfortable as if I was actually at a jazz café in downtown Greensboro,” said freshman social work major, Wendy Wells.

“I really enjoyed the band playing throughout the entire event,” Wells said.

Performances included Couture Word singing well-known songs such as “Killing Me Softly” by Lauryn Hill, “Love” by Musiq Soulchild and “Until the End of Time” by Justin Timberlake.The crowd sang along with the performers for each song.

“I really loved the fact that they sung Killing Me Softly, I love Lauryn Hill,” said freshmanmarketing major Ariel Gilmer.

A&T students and Eta Chapter members recited poetry they wrote themselves. Afterwards the crowd reacted in an abundance of finger snaps, handclaps and cheers of joy. Due to the Eta Chapter also participating in the Sprite Step Off in Atlanta that same weekend, senior animal industry major, Robert Bass was assigned to make the event a success.

“Well the members of the step team left to go compete in the Sprite Step Off in Atlanta, soI was given this responsibility at the last minute,” Bass said.

After the show was over, students and participants commended the program and inquired about possible shows in the future.

“Participants from tonight and audience members had asked me can they be a part ofthis when we do it again,” Bass said.

It seems that the Lyrical Lounge will be an annual event that will go on for years.

• Jonathan Veal