The smart traveler’s strategy for saving money on summer trips

(ARA) – Before you know it, kids will be out of school and the warm summer months will provide long days full of possibilities. The tradition of summer travel is still alive and well, and smart travelers know how to plan so they get the most for their dollar.

As summer looms on the horizon, more and more people are catching the travel bug. According to recent numbers from the U.S. Travel Association/Ypartnership travelhorizons survey, 7 million more U.S. adults expect to travel through July this year than last year – thanks to more money available for travel and interest in leisure getaway deals.

Whether you’re planning a trip with the family, your girlfriends, or just your spouse, being money-wise doesn’t mean having to cut corners on a vacation. Consider these insider travel tips to get the most out of your summer vacation plans:

Eat smart and save

Dining can be one of the most costly parts of taking a summer vacation. While enjoying a meal at a restaurant is a good thing, smart travelers limit how much they eat out – for example, just once a day – and eat other meals in. Booking accommodations with a kitchen might cost a bit more, but the savings of eating in throughout a trip can add up quickly. If you do like to eat out, a smart travel tip is to eat at local eateries and avoid the big tourist locations. Food is often cheaper and more authentic to the area.

Look for online travel discounts

The Internet offers a plethora of travel savings, but finding these can be confusing. Be sure to look beyond the typical travel sites to find really deep discounts. For example, DailyGetaways.com offers exclusive, limited-time discounts from April 11 through May 13, 2011, that can save you up to 60 percent on travel across the U.S. this summer and beyond. Each day a new travel deal is announced from top U.S. travel brands equating to deep discounts on car rentals, hotel stays, airline certificates, travel vouchers, theme park tickets and more. Want an insider tip? Use any American Express Card to get an extra 10 percent off your purchase.

Walk and use public transit

Renting a car and taking taxis can be very expensive. Limit your use of these options by traveling to destinations that offer attractions that you can walk to or access easily by public transportation. Invest in a good map that you can bring in a purse or backpack. Keep in mind many cities offer free online versions of subway and bus maps. Download and print these ahead of time, or pull them up on your mobile device during your trip.

Look for packages and VIP offers

Booking a travel package can save you money on the overall cost of your trip. Research bundled options to get the biggest discount possible. Auction sites are another way to get access to value-filed vacation packages. If you’re looking for that truly unique trip, consider bidding on the weekly “once-in-a-lifetime package” only available on DailyGetaways.com. Each Monday a new package is released and bidding goes through Friday. Each trip is completely unique with experiences not readily accessible to the public. For example, bid on the Nashville Star Treatment CMA Package that has all the celebrity extras including tickets to rub elbows with the most popular country artists at the Country Music Awards.

From finding the best deals online to being strategic about where you stay, travel smart this summer and save a lot of money for a vacation full of memories to look back upon.