HBCU tour empowers students

On February 12, The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) and Wells Fargo brought the Empower Me Tour to A&T’s campus.

There were various activities and workshops throughout the day in different locations in GCB and the Student Union.

Actress Tatyana Ali and actor Malik Yoba were the headliners for the tour.

Stacey McBride-Irby, a black barbie doll designer; A&R for Atlantic Records, Amir Windom; author and President/CEO of Execute Your Passion, LLC, Chris Cooper; A&T alum and Style Minute host, Craig Stokes; Chef DAS from the Next Food Network Star; and executive producers and stars of the “T.O. Show” Mo & Kita (Kita Williams and Monique Jackson) hosted workshops in addition to being on a celebrity panel.

The first panel discussion was a relationship forum that was moderated by A&T’s own Warren Ballentine and Phyllis Cunningham, the National Director of Foundation Relations for UNCF.

All the guests of the tour participated in the forum discussing the issues on whether men or women have the best game when in a relationship.

The panelists were asked question from Ballentine and Cunningham, who also added to the discussion at times.

Various questions from the audience touched on, Do you know when a man or woman is cheating, and what do you want in a man or woman?

“If a guy ask you what you want in man, never answer him,” said Ballentine. “He will change just to get in your pants,” he added.

All the panelists added their perspective on the questions throughout the forum.

“Wait to have sex for many months. I mean be honest with yourself, a good kiss will have you ready to write wedding vows,” said Tatyana Ali.

After the relationship forum, Chef Das gave a demonstration on cooking healthy food inside the union in front of Stallings.

Darrell “Chef Das” Smith started his cooking career making meals for his roommates when he attended Morris Brown College studying business administration in seek of opening his own club or lounge.

After two years, Chef Das attended culinary school. After graduating culinary school, Chef Das was offered jobs at the Westin Hotel in Detroit, working under renowned chefs and eventually moving to Los Angeles.In Los Angeles, he created a culinary program at Beverly Hills High School and participated in the Food Network’s “Next Food Network Star” season 6.

He made pineapple chicken kabobs for people to sample. He also gave safety tips as far as sharpening a knife, cutting certain fruits and vegetables and cooking tips.

There were other activities for people to get involved in throughout the union. In the lobby of the Student Union, there was a Tour Zone, a live DJ, a gaming station that was equipped with a Wii game console, a dog chain engraving area and various gift giveaway stations.

The U.S. Army, who ran the dog chain engraver, also had pamphlets and DVDs to pass out to those who visited their table. The

Army also had a workshop where people who attended were eligible to win an iPod.

The workshop was held in Stallings Ballroom by drill sergeant, Rozolene Marie Robinson and the chair of the military department here at A&T, LTC Eric D. Handy.

They presented information and talked about benefits of joining the Army. “There is a lot of flexibility in the military on what job you take and what you are interested in,” said Handy.

The final event of the night was a panel discussion that was held at 4pm in the Student Union room 101.

Members  of the panel included all the guests that attended the tour, including Malik Yoba and were moderated by vice president of sales and marketing for Imagine International Inc., Trent T. Daniel.

The final panel discussion was a chance for A&T students and high school students to ask the guests various questions on their personal lives and careers and their success. All the guests went through various issues throughout their careers as far as competition with the white corporate, television networks declining ideas of shows and accountability. They all gave tips to follow that will assist you in starting a career.

Malik Yoba had to leave before the end of the discussion to catch his plane, but not before giving advice to all in attendance.

“Fear is for success and fear runs with doubt and confusion,” said Yoba. “So it is important to be fearless,” Yoba added.

Immediately following the discussion there was a celebrity meet & greet, which allowed the students an opportunity to take photos and get the panel to autograph posters.  Concluding the tour at North Carolina A&T, Tatyana Ali, who attended a predominantly white institution, Harvard, felt the importance of this tour is a high priority for HBCU students to attend. “I think there is a different need at HBCUs, and it is important to have people who look like you talking about things that you are concerned with,” said Ali.

The Student University Activities Board vice president, Kawana Foster felt that this opportunity for young people was a great way to empower us to stay focus and do whatever we got to do to achieve. “For high school and college students to get a vision and some words of wisdom from people who have been through entrepreneurship, college and have accomplish things in life, it is a great honor,” said Foster.

Â