Tips to navigate the road in a spring downpour

Spring is in the air, which means the air gets warmer, the grass gets greener and leaves sprout on trees. Unfortunately, spring also can mean heavy rains that make any drive – short or long – extremely challenging.

Safe driving in that kind of weather can be scary if you aren’t prepared. Particularly after periods where there hasn’t been a lot of rain, it can feel like you’re out of practice when driving in torrential situations. Here are some simple tips to keep safe when the road gets wet.

* See the road. It may seem obvious, but making sure your windshield is at its clearest is crucial to driving in the rain. Windshield wipers are typically good for about 6,000 miles before they should be changed – usually about twice per year – either the rubber inserts or the whole assembly. While that sounds simple enough, studies have found that people don’t typically follow that rule – they are more apt to change the blades every two or three years. Over time, the rubber can crack or fray, which can hamper the view you’re getting when you look out the window in a storm.

* Keep your distance. It’s always good policy on the road to not get too close to the cars in front of you, but this is especially true when the roads are wet. During a storm when the roads are very wet, it’s harder to stop, so make sure you leave more distance than you might otherwise.

* Let the pedals do the work. When cruising along the open road, the cruise control is a great asset when you’re driving. However, in inclement weather, using your cruise control in the rain can be extremely dangerous. If you hit a puddle and start hydroplaning, you can actually gain speed if your cruise control is engaged. The lack of traction between your tires and road causes this, and if enough water gets under your tires, you can lose contact with the road.

* Don’t splash around. It may seem like fun to splash through a huge puddle in the road, but the water getting up into your engine compartment can potentially harm some of the electrical components, and the water on your brakes and rotors can make it harder to stop in a situation where you have to slam on the brakes. Also, under all that water can be a large pothole which can damage wheels or tires.

Enjoy springtime, but make sure you stay safe on the road during the early season downpours. Other drivers on the road will thank you.