Mentoring skills bring national honors

When Dr. Vallie Guthrie was an undergraduate at N.C. A&T, she learned more than facts from her teachers. She learned how to teach. Guthrie, a chemistry professor at A&T and director of a program to boost science and math skills among secondary school students, was recognized nationally this fall with the Presdential Award for Excellence in Science, Matematics and Engineering Mentoring. President Bill Clinton established the award in 1996 to recognize the efforts of individuals and organizations that mentor and inspire young individuals to succeed in the fields of science, math and engineering. Guthrie was one of 10 individuals to receive the award this year. The award includes a commemorative presidential certificate and a $10,000 grant to the winners and the institutions. Guthrie is also the director of the Greensboro Area Mathematics and Science Education Center (GAMSEC), a program to improve math and science skills for students in grades 7-12. It offers workshops and institutes for K-12 teachers in the fields of math, science, and technology. She has directed the GAMSEC program at A&T 16 years. It currently reaches 450 students in Greensboro and surrounding areas. “I am a person that works quietly but very effectively,” Guthrie said. “My general joy comes from the people I work with.” Guthrie, who favors the professional look of blazer, blouse, skirt and heels, wears her hair short and looks to be younger than her 61 years. She was born in 1939, in Maple Hill, N.C. She attended A&T and graduated in 1961 with a degree in professional chemistry. She also joined the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority while she was at A&T. She attained her master’s degree from Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn., and went on to get her doctorate at American University in Washington, D.C. Guthrie said that attending A&T has helped her a lot. “There is something special about going to school here,” she said. She learned how to teach her students from the professors that she had when she went to A&T. “I saw how patient they were with me…I try to understand, be there, and be kind.” Guthrie has written 30 science textbooks for students in kindergarten through 12th grade and post-secondary school. “I did not necessarily agree with the textbooks,” Guthrie said, so she decided to write her own. In 1976 Guthrie’s students started using her textbooks. Guthrie said, “I was the first professor to write the book of the class I taught.” Guthrie has won other awards as well during her career. She won the Coca-Cola Foundation National Keeping Kids in School Program (1999), “The Giant in Science” Award from the Quality Education for Minorities Network (1998) and an Outstanding Service Award from Multicultural Science Education, an affiliate of the National Science Teachers Association. “The main thing A&T has given me is a quality education,” Guthrie said. Guthrie has given a lot to A&T as well. “When students have questions to be answered, I take time to answer them,” she said. Lynda Jordan, chemistry professor, was mentored by Guthrie. “She is a good person and an excellent mentor,” Jordan said. “She is the kind of teacher people enjoy having and the type of faculty member you enjoy to work with,” said Gilbert Casterlow, mathematics professor. “Many people teach the courses. She teaches the students.” When Guthrie is not teaching or mentoring she likes to write. She said her kids consider that to be work, but she thinks otherwise. Guthrie also likes to stay in shape. She said, “I am into fitness. I work out every day.” Guthrie also likes to travel. She has been to 47 states. She has also traveled to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. She has been married to John Guthrie for 36 years. They have two children: John, a minister in New York City, and Valerie, who graduated with an engineering degree this past may and is currently attending graduate school at N.C. State University.