Letter to the Editor

After the last issue of the A&T Register, I finally said, “enough is enough.” Since my election as President, I have to admit, I haven’t utilized my skills as a Public Relations major to write any major editorials in the A&T Register. However, I am finally here. Around this time last year, I was working on a speech for the 2009 SGA elections.

There was one debate where my opponent did a great job, but I knew I had potential to do very well in the next debate.  As I began to write my speech my friend, now Chief of Staff Gary Brown, told me, “the University is at a crossroads, it’s at a point where we can progress or go backwards.”

One year later, Mr. Brown’s statement is has proved its truth.    Last week the A&T Register’s Editor in Chief, believed SGA was in a state of “stupidity.” 

I will completely disagree and say that SGA is in a state of “transformation.”  There are many issues that exist within the Student Government Association, from the dysfunctional computers to the lack of Governance training students have received. In regards to the disqualification of both SGA President candidates, if a flaw within the Constitution has existed since 1995, which is clearly a 15 year period, how can we continue to blame the student leaders of North Carolina A&T?

How can we call upon the student government association, if the administrators who govern the student government association aren’t calling these things out?  With any problem that exists, there is always a trickledown effect. Let’s the take a look at the United States economy for example First Wall Street Crashes, the banks lose money, people lose their jobs, and then there is an economic recession for the entire nation and the middle class and lower class suffer. If the administrators aren’t recognizing the problems within SGA firsthand, but more importantly providing solutions to these issues, then how can we as students effectively govern? How can we keep blaming students?

The Editor-in-Chief of the paper made reference to the culture of lazy, foolish, Qwuita and Qwan behavior to take over our institution. But what powers that exist are allowing this culture to come to enter this University? It’s certainly not students; therefore the accountability has to start from the very top.

Before I ran for President, I recognized there were many issues that affected the beloved student body of North Carolina A&T State University, but like any other candidate, I approached these issues with much optimism. This very same optimism exists today and has never changed. If anyone read my platform, my campaigned was organized on the definition of progress.

It takes time to make change; therefore progress is an essential piece for success. Let’s take three examples, first with off campus security. We know many students have safety concerns when living in an off campus residence, but now with A&T Police helping to patrol the area along with the GPD, there has been a bigger police presence. Many students in the past have complained about the lack of visibility from Student Government officials, along with the lack of knowledge about essential programs.

But this year, the Jasmin Administration has done a great job in promoting events, via social networking sites, along with dorm storming.

Lastly with political awareness, fewer than 200 people voted from this campus in the 2009 municipal elections in November. Former U.S. Presidential candidate and more importantly former SGA President Jesse Jackson Sr., was publicly upset with this low turnout.

But what our beloved Reverend fails to realize is that in 2007, there were fewer than 70 students that voted on campus in the municipal elections. In regards to percentage wise, it is a significant improvement, and something I personally helped lent my efforts to.

It’s like having a broken house. In order to fix the house, you must start internally with the structure, whether it’s the pipes, windows, floors and etc.

In order to bring change to the house, you must first replace broken material in the house. However these things must visibly come out the house in order to be replaced. Fortunately our house has been repaired on this year, but unfortunately the public has viewed the dirty things that have existed in the house for many years. Whether good or bad, the

Homecoming situation, the Attorney General Impeachment process and now the SGA elections committee debate are only a representation of the past and what’s been going on within the house. So yes, we all have ourselves to blame as a University, including MYSELF.  But with all of these issues taking place issues, we must ask ourselves why are these things happening? And the answer is: Progress internally and externally. 

This great progress has allowed for debate about issues affecting SGA.

Although this is still a much further length to go, I challenge the new SGA members to surpass the accomplishments of my administration and to find new ways to get students involved socially and politically.

We should work and challenge administrators to do a better job of improving the student experience on this campus, not only with entertainment events. In 2009, we were blessed with a new Chancellor, and now in 2010 we are blessed with a new Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs.

So as grades approach for this current term of the Student Government Association, I hope we are jugged fairly and accordingly by our word and merit. But no matter what grade we are to receive, there are individuals on this board who have worked hard and dedicated their gracious time for the student body and no grade or any kind of progress report can’t assess their true love for this University.

As I embark on graduation, I will no longer be here, I won’t dorm storm, I won’t remind you to go vote, or to take care of your financial aid! But I charge the next Leader to follow these footsteps, and recognize the true needs of this University.

If that leader is here now please step up, you don’t need an SGA position to make change!

Good luck! 

• Syene Jasmine