Stick to your good habits – even on a road trip

Summer is the time of year when a lot of people take time off from work to go on a road trip. But just because you are varying your routine doesn’t mean you should throw all your good habits out the window. You can still eat well, exercise and get plenty of sleep while on the road. The trick is to make the commitment ahead of time and stick with your plan.

Follow these simple steps to keep on track while on the road:

1. Pledge that when you stop for food at a fast food restaurant you will order the healthiest item on the menu. Instead of a burger and fries, order grilled chicken and a baked potato. If you order a salad, ask them to hold the dressing.

2. Pack healthy snacks. When you’re taking a road trip, it is important to maintain a steady blood sugar to help you keep your energy up and stay alert. Instead of packing foods high in sugar that can cause you to crash after a few hours, think healthy. Try dried fruit strips and veggie sticks instead of cookies and chips. Bring a mixture of protein, fruit and veggies, and other nutritious snacks to keep yourself well-nourished.

3. Book rooms at hotels that have amenities like a pool, racquetball court and/or gym where you can get a workout. The hotel industry considers it their job to make accommodations as much like home for their guests as possible. As a result, many, but not all, offer multiple exercise opportunities for their guests. An added benefit of exercise – it helps you sleep well at night so you can wake up refreshed the next morning.

4. Before leaving on your trip, review your auto insurance policy to make sure you’ll have good coverage if something goes wrong far from home. Since insurance requirements vary from state-to-state it’s a good idea to figure out ahead of time what is required in the state(s) you’ll be driving through. This is information you can easily obtain when requesting free car insurance quotes online.

You may even discover that auto insurance rates have gone down since the last time you obtained an auto insurance policy.

5. Saving money is another good habit to stick with the next time you go on a road trip. Challenge yourself to come home with money in your pocket rather than just a large collection of receipts.

Courtesy of ARAcontent