Landfill Right in Your Backyard

Our illustrious institution has a long legacy of student

engagement and activism. Looking back over the past 5 decades we

have been leaders in marches, sit-ins, revolts, struggles and

voters efforts

Our illustrious institution has a long legacy of student engagement and activism. Looking back over the past 5 decades we have been leaders in marches, sit-ins, revolts, struggles and voters efforts. 

However, I would be glossing over the story of our legacy if I did not mention the lack of urgency and empathy we have as a whole today.

Many of us are unaware of the struggle happening right in our backyard.  Hardly 3 miles from campus, the city council, a new more conservative council after our dismal voter turn out in 2009, has voted to re-open White Street Landfill to house hold waste.

It is literally in the backyards of people who have been historically disenfranchised. Yet many students are unaware of this.

I would be careful to assume it is student apathy, because after taking to the yard this past week I found many fellow Aggies who cared just as much, but are simply unaware of what was going on.

Opposition to reopening the dump is widespread; I have spoken to numerous people and have yet to speak with anyone in favor of reopening the dump. Opposition crosses racial, economic, generational, and district lines. Please do not underestimate the breadth and depth of those opposed to this action.

There are roughly 23,000 people who live adjacent to or near the proposed dump. Garbage dumps stink and are infested with rats and vultures. They generate obnoxious neighborhood traffic. There is evidence of serious health issues stemming from air and water contamination.

The Council must protect the people who they lead, i.e. Greensboro citizens. Opening the dump hurts thousands of people and would represent a classic failure of our leadership.

Reopening the dump is widely and properly seen as a major “diss” to the black citizens of Greensboro.

All of the adverse effects of reopening the dump fall disproportionately on these citizens, along with the added financial burden of freezing people into homes with sharply depressed values. This reminds me of something that a majority would do to a minority back in the 1950’s. In a word, it’s unconscionable.

I challenge every student to get out past the walls of this institution, to be just as excited about building a movement towards community unity as they are about homecoming. Let’s not just rest on a legacy, let’s build on to it!

Those wanting to be involved can find the facebook group: “Students Against Whitestreet Landfill: A project of Ignite Greensboro” or email me at [email protected]

• Cherell Brown