Aggies prepare for flu season

It is that time of the year again where stuffy noses, sore

throats, and body aches take over college campuses.

It is that time of the year again where stuffy noses, sore throats, and body aches take over college campuses.

Sebastian Health Center is now on a mission to help Aggies combat the flu by providing flu shots.

Sebastian offers the shot at no charge to students who have the university’s student insurance plan and $25 for students who are not insured. There are also several local health clinics where students can go to get the shot as well.

University health educator Janet Lattimore said that students should get a flu vaccine each year.

“It is just a good health measure in general and becomes a habit later in life. It also provides protection for other people as well, especially elderly people and young children who already have weaker immune systems,” said Lattimore.

With the holiday season right around the corner, the likelihood of catching the flu is great. Sebastian receives the most flu cases in February. Lattimore added, “They [students] go home into different communities and come back to school being exposed to a lot of things.”

“Body aches, fever, laziness, sore throat, headache, chills, and fatigue are all flu-like symptoms,” said university health educator Kaye Ziglar.

Ziglar also offered some additional advice for protection against the flu.

“Using hand sanitizer is okay, but soap and water is better. It’s also important to cover your mouth when you cough. Also, if you’re sick do not go out in public.”

Both Lattimore and Ziglar agree that a lot of people do not get flu shots because they have needle phobias.

However, Sebastian Health Center has expert nurses on staff that use special techniques to create a painless shot for those students who are scared. Another solution for those who are intimidated by shots would be to bring a buddy along and support each another.

Charity Staton, a junior business management major, said that she has not received the flu shot before because she has heard so many mixed reviews about it.

“I haven’t been pressed about getting a flu shot because I’ve heard that people still get the flu and that they can get sick from it.”

Representatives from Sebastian Health Center added that one of the biggest misconceptions about the flu shot is that the flu shot can actually cause the flu.

However, that cannot happen because the flu shot is a dead virus and it is impossible for a dead virus to cause a live flu case.

It is also important to know that flu shot side effects, if they occur at all, are minor.

The benefits of having a flu vaccination outweigh the possible side effects that come along with getting one.

Sebastian Health Center recommends the following strategies under the current flu conditions, provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Guilford County Health Department:

Those with flu-like illness should stay away from class and limit interactions with other people, except to seek medical care, for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever; practice social distancing by avoiding crowds until you have been without fever; do not go to athletic facilities while ill (exercising while ill can make you worse); if close contact with others cannot be avoided, the ill student should be asked to wear a surgical mask during the period of contact; rest and stay hydrated; and seek care at the Sebastian Health Center or a local health care provider for assessment or treatment if needed.

Although Sebastian encourages appointments, walk-ins are welcome.

Come in and get flu shot from 8 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday-Friday or for more information you can contact Sebastian at 336-334-7880.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Cheri Farrior, Register Reporter