A&T football begins season Sept. 4

Another season of North Carolina A&T football kicks off on Saturday at 6 p.m. when the Aggies host the Rams of Winston-Salem State.

Last years’ I-40 Classic ended with a 19-10 Aggie win at Bowman Gray Stadium.

The Aggies went on to finish the season with just three more wins and a 4-6 record.

According to Head Coach Alonzo Lee fans can expect a more physical and aggressive team this year.

“You can expect a very aggressive, hard-nose, hard-hitting team, there’s no doubt about it,” said Lee. “We went in to camp saying that we wanted to be physical and it’s no way to be physical other than practicing physical. We’ve had a physical grueling camp, so I know you can look forward to seeing a very physical, hard-hitting team.”

If the Aggies are successful in accomplishing these goals, junior strong safety Justin Ferrell from Danville, VA could be a major reason why.

Ferrell recorded six interceptions last season for the the Aggies ninth-ranked pass defense.

He also earned first-team All-MEAC preseason honors along with fellow defensive back junior Quay Long.

Ferrell and Long will try and help the Aggies remain one of the nations best pass defenses.

“Justin makes us a team that can really get after you blitz-wise because he can cover like a corner,” said Lee.           

“It gives us a chance to play a little more man coverage. His presence really makes us a better defense.”

On offense, the Aggies will start sophomore Lewis Kindle at quarterback.

He will try to improve the Aggies offense, which has struggled to move the ball consistently over the years.

Coach Lee believes the improvement is possible with the help of the crowd.

“I enjoy that 12th man. Our fan base is outstanding,” said Lee.

“You know when we’re down, you’re pushing us to be up and different things like that and I think if we have it like that, we’re going to be outstanding.”

• Prince Askew-Grimes