Widow’s Row’ opens season

The Department of Visual and Performing Arts will open their 2009-10 theater season with

“The Dance on Widow’s Row,” written by Emmy-nominated actor and playwright Samm-Art Williams anda directed by Associate Professor of Theater Miller Lucky Jr.

The play is set to run October 1-4 and October 8-11 in the Paul Robeson Theatre. Williams will be attending the Oct. 3 performance and conducting a talkback immediately after.  Magnolia Ellis (played by Vanecia Boone) is a woman from Fremont Street in Port Town, N.C.

She and her neighbors are all widows and the people in the town appropriately call their street “Widow’s Row.”

Boone, a senior professional theater major, wants to come correct in honoring Williams in his presence. 

“We as the actors have to bring the story up to the level that he envisioned. There are a lot of elements to the story and it is our job to bring it to life,” Boone said.

As a playwright, Williams has written several plays that were produced in New York, Los Angeles and other cities including “Home,” which received a Tony nomination as Best Broadway Play. In addition to his writing and acting credits, he served as executive producer of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Martin,” “Good News” and other television productions.

Nick Turner, a junior professional theater major from Winston-Salem, N.C., plays Deacon Hudson in the play. He talked about the pressure of performing the work of Williams in front of him. 

“There is a lot of pressure to do good. You cannot half step because he is going to be here. Our job is to stay true to his story,” Turner said.

Kalilah Black, a junior professional theater major from Bronx, N.Y., plays Simone “Simi” Jackson and talked about performing in a play that was written by Williams.

“It’s an honor because the characters are very dear to him. He is very influential and if you do well, it could be your big break. All he has to do is make a phone call,” Black said.

Tickets are available in the ticket office and A&T students are free with a valid Aggie One Card.

• laporsha lowry