Get your bike back into shape with easy maintenance

(ARA) – Bicycle riding is a favorite pastime for all ages during the warm weather months. Whether you have had your bike in storage or it hasn’t had a recent tune up, spring is a great time to make sure your bike is in good working order. There are a few simple steps you can take to make sure you have a pleasant ride.

Wheels and tires – Check your tires for wear, cracks and proper inflation. Bicycle tires are no different than car tires, and should be replaced if the tread is worn or the rubber is cracked or dry-rotted. Clean between the sprockets using a rag or a proper cleaning tool. Using a dry rag, wipe down the hubs, spokes, and rims on both wheels. If it’s hard to clean, use mild soapy water. Never use a hose or harsh cleaners to clean your bike.

Frame – Clean the bike frame and components starting at the handle bars and work your way back. Use mild soapy water to loosen hard-to-remove grime. As you’re cleaning, inspect the frame for any cracks or damage. If you see any cracks, you should take your bike to a bike shop for repair. Be sure to also inspect your brake and shift cables.

Lubrication – Apply a light lubricant like Royal Purple’s Maxfilm to the inside of your cable housings and all of the pivot points on your brake and shift components. Maxfilm leaves a tough and durable lubricating film for improved operation and long-lasting protection against wear, rust and corrosion. Avoid getting any oil on your brake pads, and wipe off any excess.

Brakes – Check your brake pads. If they are worn beyond the indicator line, they will need to be replaced.

Bolts – Make sure all of the bolts on the bike are tightened, but be careful not to over tighten. This includes your handlebars, seat, pedals and shifters.

Clean the chain – One of the last items in your bike maintenance would be to clean and lubricate the chain. Clean the chain of dust and dirt with a solvent-soaked rag. After inspecting the chain, use a chain lubricant like Royal Purple’s Max-Chain. Max-Chain is an advanced, synthetic lubricant that reduces wear and extends equipment life. It can be applied by either spraying or brushing. Once applied, the carrier evaporates leaving a long-lasting, dry, wax-like film. This non-tacky film minimizes the collection of dust and other airborne contaminants.

Test drive – The final step in your spring bike prep is taking a test ride. Check the gears and brakes. Make adjustments if necessary and then get your helmet and enjoy the bike ride.