Band feels unappreciated by student body

We hear them practice, we know their sound. We know our beloved Blue and Gold Marching Machine.

Coming to an HBCU from Fairfax County, Va., a predominately white area, was quite exhilarating and intriguing.

The style of the marching bands is so different that I come to the football games just to hear the band. I am always eager to see what they are going to do next.

While I am a great supporter of the band, many members of the Marching Machine feel unappreciated. Band members say they enjoy playing at others schools rather than playing on their own field. 

“The pride for our school has been overshadowed by students who think they are too “cool” to show their pride or feel they may look “lame,” said an anonymous BGMM member. Have we lost our Aggie Pride? Is it because we try to “show off” at games? Many are worried about what outfit will make us look fly or sexy, that we dare not raise our voice to praise the band, or the football team.

“I feel more appreciated at away games because they are very hype and I feed off the crowd’s energy. If they are hype, they’re into (it), and they’re dancing along and singing along it makes me want to play better and I play better because they are cheering for me,” said Simone Young, a junior, saxophone player in BGMM. Young said fans do not participate during games. Young noted that it is almost shocking that fans sit in the stands emotionless and almost dead during games.

As a fan, I honestly do not pay attention to the actual game.  I pay more attention to the band. I like being able to sing and dance along.

I will admit after every song I do not cheer for them, I just sit there. I wonder if this is the case for other Aggies? 

“I cheer for both [the band and the football team.] You get to watch two battles at the same time, but one you can almost guarantee is going to win every time, is the band. The game is the one you have to pay attention to,” said Brandon Jackson, junior. “They never let me down with song choices and the execution of them.”

Tamika McKay, sophomore, said. “I go to the game more so for the band because we have the greatest band in the land. I usually leave after the half-time performance. I don’t cheer because I listen to the actual beat so I can pick up on the song and then I admire it by singing along.”

BGMM gets love and respect from our school but how come they do not feel it?

“A&T’s band is recognized for representing North Carolina in the Macy Day Parade, so more than us see them. So they get more respect” said senior, Kenyon Jones.

When asked about crowd favoritism for certain sections, Kevin Mosley said, “Cold Steel gets a lot of favoritism, from like the entire campus,”

Mosley as well as other members of the band feel that Cold Steel, Golden Delights, and maybe even the brass section gets the most attention.

The other sections do not get a lot of attention.

Briana Tucker, a member of Golden Delight, said “they watch us during halftime, but they take us for granted sometimes.”

Tucker explained she feels that Golden Delight gets more attention. “It’s because we’re dancers, and it’s because we’re more visual and they are more like audible, we get more [attention,].” Tucker said. 

“The level of expectations are set high, and I have much respect for people who play in the band,” said sophomore, Ashleigh Wilson.

I believe that I can speak on behalf of the student body when I say the band is appreciated. We love and appreciate everything you all do to represent us.

—Email  us at [email protected] and follow us on twitter @theatregister

• Taylor Young, Contributor