True Life: I worked for The A&T Register

I’d like to begin by saying thank you to everyone who has ever edited, contributed to, read or commented on any of my articles. Regardless of what you thought of it, I appreciate you taking the time to read it at all.

Working for The A&T Register has been an experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world. I went from writing as an intern to becoming a staff writer to earning a position as the Online Editor of the newspaper’s website. I have come a long way and I can’t help but reflect on how this newspaper and its staff has helped me grow not only in my major/profession, but as a person.

For every editor that I’ve worked under: Mike McCray, Aasiya Townsell and Dexter Mullins…I love you guys. To the wonderful staff who put up with my strange eating habits, I thank you. From late nights working to helping deliver papers on campus by foot, I’m proud to have worked with all of you. Mrs. Harris! I miss you, but I know you are being an awesome mom as you have been to all of us; Connor is lucky to have you in his life.

Dexter, you are just amazing as a person and I can honestly say you pushed us to our limits but it was always in our best interest. In my eyes, you are the BEST in Print. Period. Malcolm, you are like a brother to me, and I love the mess out you; you are definitely going to high places. I loved being the only female in the back office and listening to you, Daniel, Chad and Anjan have your “male” conversations and allowing me to put my two cents in every now and then.

Daniel, you are one of the hardest working black man that I know and I admire you for all that you do; I know you’re going far. Chad, thank you for the rides to the News & Record, but definitely for always being someone I can talk to if I had questions about writing, editing, journalism, etc.

Anjan, dude, you are like one of the realest people I know. Real talk, you remind me of my dad because of your sense of humor and genuine care for all of us in the newsroom.

LaPorsha, girl, your play lists are out of this world! I swear you have literally every song ever made and they’re always in good taste. Ashley! I don’t even have to tell you how much I’m going to miss seeing you and approaching you for a hug. Carlton Brown, I have no words for our friendship, but I wouldn’t change a thing about it. By the way, I’ll get dinner, but dessert is on you (inside joke).

Kenny, you are a part of the Register family that seemed to be missing a lot, but you were always and will be family to me.

To the soon to be upperclassmen:  Kelcie, you are a trip and I love that about you. You are so silly just like me and we mesh so well together. Jasmine, you are truly one of a kind; you keep it real at all times and that’s the kind of people I like to be around. I know you’ll take care of things as the next Editor in Chief. Ken, you are really something else.

You are who you are and you don’t try to be anyone else, I respect that about you. Thanks for providing awesome photos for the website…tell your mom thanks for keeping me in check in getting the site up in a timely manner. Sylvia, you bring a certain Jersey flavor to the newsroom; don’t change for anyone in or outside of GCB 328.

I hope my editorials made a difference to all who read them and I really appreciate the love I was shown for writing them.

To those who feel like The Register went hard on any group, individual, etc…you’ll be alright. As a part of the editorial staff, I’m pretty non-apologetic for us doing our job. And for the record…I worked for The A&T RegistER, not the RegistrAR. –S. Beezy 

• Stacie Bailey