Students volunteer over break

Relaxation, sleep, a break from school; all of these words describe what a typical fall break should be for an A&T student, but this year a group of A&T students decided to sacrifice their break to help out others.

The students spent their fall break working and serving the community of the lower 9th Ward in New Orleans. Students had to fill out applications, write essays, and attend meetings in order to be selected for the trip.

Lee Morgan, director of the Civic and Service Education program, wanted to make sure that the students chosen would be sincere and dedicated to the job in New Orleans.     “We selected New Orleans as the city for the trip because we started the initiative down there previously, and we wanted to give students something else to do rather than stay in the dorm or go home,” said Morgan. “We felt that the students that were selected would of course contribute time and energy, but also hard work to help restore the community we were in.” “We ultimately wanted students to gain a meaningful experience, to see the devastation and how they are still living in it, and to gain a sense of reality to see other people’s situations and have a desire to do something about it.”

During the trip, students were exposed to the reality of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The project was centered in the lower 9th Ward, here the students were broken into groups and helped local residents repair and rebuild their property. Many of the neighborhoods were bare, the majority of the houses were government property and almost all of them were still branded with the marks of how many bodies were found in them. An estimated 40,000 residents returned to the area after Katrina, and most of them are still struggling to become stable.

Delores Wells has been a resident of the lower 9th Ward since she was 15 years old, and now because of Katrina has lost everything she saved for her whole life.    “I tried to plan and make wise choices, and then I got to retirement age and lost everything,” said Wells.

Wells explained that since the amount of people that returned is lower than the original population, crime has increased and all of the support from the government was never received.

“I am very disappointed with the lack of local, state, and federal government help,” said Wells.

Wells paid insurance for coverage on her property and then when Katrina happened she only received $10,000 because she did not have flood damage insurance.    Many residents complained about the mayor not performing his duties and about having a hard time trying to receive funding. Most agencies that took donations after Katrina never gave any money to actual hurricane victims, such as the residents of the 9th Ward. Then some of the organizations who did offer money had certain qualifications and would not release the funds if the qualifications were not met.    “We weren’t qualified if you hadn’t started working on your house, but most of us didn’t have any money to start working and once we did, they told us that all the money was gone,” said Wells.

Wells stated that the government has threatened to fine residents up to $500 a day if proper construction isn’t done.

Community leader Charles Allen explained how the lack of basic necessities makes it even harder for the residents of the lower 9th Ward.    “The issues that are still threatening us are the need for category 5 hurricane flood protection, infrastructural repairs throughout the lower 9th Ward, and amenities such as a grocery store with a good healthy selection of foods,” said Allen.     Allen also explained how the lower ninth ward is lacking a convenient pharmacy for all residents and police protection.

“We still have a huge problem with illegal drug activity”, said Allen.    He said that since the amount of residents in the 9th Ward decreased, the remaining people have a harder time fighting for the things they need since they don’t have enough people to make a major case.

“We are even strategizing ways of combining our population numbers with those of our neighboring communities to get the desired services and other amenities you find in thriving communities”, said Allen.

Even with all of the daily struggles these residents face, they still manage to sacrifice to help each other out. Resident and director of the Lower 9th Ward Village Project, Ward McClendon, has sacrificed so much to start this project. McClendon still lives in his FEMA trailer and has used all of his money to construct a building which will cater to the community to help create stronger bonds and more successful residents.     “I’ve sacrificed my house for my community but I’m gaining so much more,” said McClendon.

He went into further detail describing the program as an opportunity for people to meet and share their voice. McClendon is hoping that with help from donations and volunteers, the program will be able to afford a full size gym, a computer lab, tutorial programs and more.

Lashawn Nevins, freshman engineer major, feels that projects like “The Village” are good because they give people more of a reason to return to their communities, and a positive attitude, and hope for the future.

“When projects like these exist, it shows that the residents want to return home, and that makes it harder for the government to get rid of the community,” said Nevins.In the end, the students enjoyed their trip of service and left wanting to do more not only for that community but for all communities that are fighting unfair situations. All of the residents agreed that anyone could help the situation by simply voicing their rights and helping them fight to get their city back.

“Young people must vote, or things will get worst,” said Wells.     Some students, along with some of the community members felt like the government should and can be doing so much more for the people of the lower 9th Ward community.    Roterra Brown, junior nursing major, feels that things shouldn’t look the way they do three years post Katrina.

• Whitney Dickens and Ashley Reid