The science of massage therapy

Most people think of massage therapy as a luxury to enjoy at resorts, on cruise ships or in day spas. But science is revealing that there’s a lot more to massage therapy than just a relaxing rubdown. Many members of the mainstream medical community are recommending massage therapy for its ability to help patients manage pain, relieve anxiety and improve overall health.

Peer-reviewed research from around the world continues to show significant benefits of massage therapy. For example, in the last three years research has found:

* Massage therapy can be used to reduce pain, anxiety and depression in children suffering from Sickle Cell Disease, according to a study published in the Journal of Pediatric Psychology (2009) by researchers at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

* The psychological and physiological state of patients with tension headaches improves within 24 hours after receiving a simple 30-minute massage, as reported in a study published in July 2010, by researchers from the University of Granada, the Clinical Hospital San Cecilio and the University Rey Juan Carlos (Spain).

* Massage therapy can immediately reduce pain and improve the mood of people suffering with advanced forms of cancer, according to a study sponsored by the Institute of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health (2008).

* The German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) reported that classic massage; Thai massage and acupressure can help relieve lower back pain (2010).

* Fifty percent of hospital patients can enjoy significant post-surgical relief via “non-traditional” methods such as massage therapy, as reported by a first-of-its-kind study published in the Journal of Patient Safety (2010).

* Massage therapy is an effective treatment for fibromyalgia, according to an issue of the Mayo Clinic Health Letter (April 2010).

* Abdominal massage can help in the management of constipation, a common symptom in people with multiple sclerosis (MS), according to a report in the July 2009 issue of the International Journal for Nursing Studies.

* At the Sixth International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology (2009), representatives from the National Cancer Institute presented the results of a study that showed how simple touch and massage can relieve the pain and suffering of cancer patients.

* People who undergo massage experience measureable changes in their body’s immune and endocrine response, reports researchers in Cedars-Sinai’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (2010).

Clearly, massage therapy has a wide variety of applications. And more benefits of this centuries-old practice are being discovered every year.

How to become a massage therapist

People interested in massage therapy as a career can train to be a professional massage therapist through special career education programs offered at community colleges, private colleges and vocational schools in most communities. Before choosing a massage therapy program, it’s wise to consider the following:

* The duration of the program

* The cost of the program

* The program instructors’ experience requirements

* How much actual “hands-on” training you will receive

* The level of assistance the school will offer to help you find employment upon graduation

* Upon graduation, massage therapists can seek employment in a range of locations that include day spas, resorts, hotels, health and sports clubs, rehabilitation clinics and other health care centers.