A&T volleyball welcomes new players

North Carolina A&T volleyball head coach, Hal Clifton welcomes new faces to the program on April 25.

The North Carolina A& volleyball team has recouped from their last season of only winning 2 matches, having only a minimum of six players and adding walk-ons as the season progressed but they are ready to start another one but with their new faces.

On April 25, head coach Hal Clifton announced the recruiting class for 2012. His first recruiting class since being announced the head coach in August 2011.

Clifton now can add two positions that his program was in pressing need, the libero and the setter where the Aggies have had to play players out of position for the last two years. The new class will join the seven returning letter winners.

The new additions to the team consist of 6 foot setter from Stowell, TX, Ali Way; 5 foot 6 inches tall defensive specialist and libero from Honolulu, Hawaii, Ashley Johnson; 6 foot middle blocker and outside hitter from Laurinburg, N.C., Te’Borah Hawkins-Hollingsworth; 5 foot 10 inch right side middle blocker from Indianapolis, Ind., Aleena McDaniel; and 5 foot 9 inch outside hitter from Loreburn, Saskatchewan, Canada, Brooke Stamnes.

“Today is a great day for our volleyball program. It is with great excitement that we welcome our 2012 freshmen class to North Carolina A&T and to our volleyball program,” said Clifton. “These young ladies will make an immediate impact on our program. Combine that with the efforts or our returners and we are looking forward to an exciting 2012 season.”

Clifton feels great about adding height, versatility, ball control and some firepower with this new class.

• Erik Veal, Online Editor